Time to take the next step

My trick is if I’m making a beer that I’m going to bottle condition I make a small 2.1/2 or 3 gallon batch and just use the Flars method

1 Like

I will back you up I too bottle and do not find it to be tedious since moving from a hand capper to a bench capper. You can knock them out pretty quickly.

Bench capper would be good to have, I need to do something though. Any time I mention bottling my friends are all suddenly out of town and my wife magically has an “appointment” somewhere haha

4 Likes

Personally, my first question is what is the size of your current kettle? Are you partial boiling or full boiling? I agree on the kegging setup because it’s amazing, but would also suggest investing in a decent kettle. I use a 10 gallon for full boils on 5 gallon batches and noticed a difference over partial boils when I made the switch. That would also lead to what heating element are you using? I started on my gas stovetop with partial boils before getting a turkey fryer from my uncle and moving to full boils in the garage.

:beers:
Rad

I use an 8 gallon kettle and do full boils. I’m looking into getting a larger kettle so I can attempt higher gravity beers using BIAB

1 Like

In that case, I’d also recommend a chiller of some sort. Higher volume boils are a bit more a challenge to get to temp in an icebath.

:beers:
Rad

See how many steps there are? :grin: As you brew, just daydream about where this could all lead too… Maybe you’ll go the route Loopie and Damien did! Or, my may figure out your layout/plan of kettle(s) and handling the hot/boiling wort to fermenter. We’re here to assist you in spending your hard earned cash on a great setup! Sneezles61

2 Likes

Definietly agree with getting a chiller. I use the Jaded brewing immersion chiller and I can cool a 6 gallon from just under boiling to pitch temp in about 12-14 min. Now I am a bit north of boston and my groundwater temp right now is very cold… but in any season here that Jaded immersion cooler is very effective compared to my previous economy model.

1 Like

AG, not BIAB, batch sparge, guy here. Started with extract but loved the mystique of AG. I hated bottling but looked at the process and streamlined it as best I could. Finally got tired of it and started kegging. It has a few problems like leaks and spilled beer and lost gas and cleaning stuff. Still prefer it to bottling. You’ll find you need more kegs than you thought. You’ll need a keezer or kegerator. Then you’ll need a bigger one. I do bottle some from the keg to take on the road but use a piece of tubing on the tap to do it. I’m cheap. :grin:

Three upgrades for 5 gallon batches that were game changers for me: 15 gallon kettle, great burner, great chilling method. Really, the whole idea is to get cold things hot and hot things cold. Once you do that you toss 'em in a jar with some prehistoric critters and wait. Echoing others as usual, do your research. Talk to experienced guys. (lots of them here) Have an open mind. Have a budget. If your one of those crafty types, you can make a lot of gear way more cheap than you can buy it.

Happy brewing!

3 Likes

You know it used to be that everyone made their own stuff. It started with the IC everyone just made one. Now it seems everyone just buys their stuff. Anyone build keggles anymore? I’m glad to see people still build kegerators and such.

I’ve got 3 keggles out there… My chiller I made… my stand I designed and had a friend make… I didn’t do my current kettle… but did the controller…
Isn’t that a part of the fun? Sneezles61

2 Likes

I have big plans for making my own equipment. I spent several years as a fabricator and welder in the food processing industry. I haven’t pulled the trigger on buying material for a bigger kettle and a hot liqueur tank yet but it’s coming.

3 Likes