Tilt hydrometer question?

I have 3 Tilts and find them accurate. I love not having to take a gravity sample. Also being a bottler, having the temperature record and recording the historical high temp for each batch has really helped me dial in my carbonation levels.

1 Like

I haven’t a clue how to get all the info out of my tilt… BUT… To monitor my brews with my phone and it appears quite accurate, its very nice…
Sneezles61

Hello everybody. I just sanitized my Tilt 2 and threw it into my Grainfather fermenter with glycol chiller attached. The current temp in my Grainfather is 64 degrees but when i pull up the Tilt 2 to read the SG and temperature, it reads 74 degrees. Isn’t the Tilt supposed to read the temp accurately? The app says pre-calibrated temp and SG which i know i never pre-calibrated anything. Should i be worried or how should i fix it? Thanks.

Hard to say from here. My Tilts are accurate but it could be yours isn’t. Or your Grainfather isn’t accurate. It takes a while you adjust to the temp are they still both radically different?
I once went to buy a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer at Radio Shack. There were a dozen different models in the display case next to the register and no two of them had the same temperature being read and there was a 10 degree difference between the lowest and the highest. So silly.

1 Like

See what the temp is now… Ifn you’ve 5 gallons of liquid… And you just racked to the fermenter… There is going to be 2 different temps… Be patient… Chime in tomorrow…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thank you both for your input. Guess i was a little impatient on getting accurate readings right away from the Tilt. It is hitting spot on now for both temperature and SG. Being the first time i used, I didn’t know what to expect.

2 Likes

Just tested my new Tilt out in a glass of water. SG reads 1.0000, temperature reads 6616 deg F. I can calibrate it to 82 (read off my thermopen), just wanted to make sure this was normal? Sorry to Necro such an old thread. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

There are alot of things to tinker with… with the Tilt… Almost all of it I don’t understand… BUT… I do verify gravity and temp just before I toss it in and close up the fermenter… To me, that is all that I need it to tell me… Its fun to check it out each morning…
Sneezles61

I went through the “what thermometer is correct” thing with my brew system. The mash tun has a dial thermometer and a thermowell with a probe for the PID controller that turns on the sparge water pump. They never agreed with each other. So I stirred the mash and got out my traceable lollipop thermometer like this https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Traceable-Shockproof-Waterproof-Thermometer/dp/B006OCN3PC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1D47XLCKE76MW&keywords=Traceable+Lollipop™+Waterproof+Thermometer&qid=1641732351&sprefix=traceable+lollipop+waterproof+thermometer+%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-4

That one I trust is correct. Turned out the simple dial thermometer was correct.

My dial thermo is a Blichmann… it is adjustable… When reading the cooler temps, its quite accurate… for some reason, the upper temps arent… My thermapen claims its traceable… so that becomes the standard I compare too…
Sneezles61

Got an email response from Tilt, they say it didn’t properly complete calibration, so they will be replacing it. Guess it wasn’t normal after all. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rad

2 Likes

DAMN… shiny new gizmo… failed. I’m glad they stood behind their product…
Sneezles61

So, I dropped my new replacement tilt in my carboy last night, was so excited I forgot to sanitize it :grimacing:, ah well. Then I was trying to figure out how to get access to the google sheets link and realized while at work I had forgotten to switch that feature on. So once I got home, I got it all set up and now have access to my fancy sheet. I am nerding out. :sunglasses: My hydrometer read 10 points higher than the tilt is reading but I didn’t calibrate it beyond testing it initially in a tub of water. I’ll go through and calibrate it before next brew and see if it makes a difference.

Rad

1 Like

I have 2 of them (had three but gave one to a friend) they have been very consistent but I’ve never but them all in the same fermenter to see their differences.

I believe you should test all yer equipment at least once a year… Didn’t Damien have a write up about this? I know, this hobby doesn’t need to be as scientific as possible… but trying to be accurate counts…
Sneezles61

2 Likes