Thoughts on Kolsch extract/partial mash recipe?

AND… you do move around… I’d venture to say the distilled/RO water and extract brewing CAN become yer best friend… no matter where you roam…
Water chemistry is complicated… then… you need a report at yer next stop again… I’d rather you keep after the process and understanding styles… which is really fun… and isn’t complicated… :grin:
Sneezles61

Thanks guys! So awesome yall can read that so fast! I guess I will stick to distilled and extract/partial mash brewing for now until I can settle down and upgrade my system. I think we will end up in this area eventually. I’m really learning a hell of a lot from y’all!!:raised_hands::grinning::beers:

1 Like

I just made a really nice all grain Kölsch kit from my LHBS Bitter and Esthers.
Here is a link the the recipe which has extract, all-grain and small batch versions on it.

I also used Lutra yeast for mine.

1 Like

Cool, man!! Can’t wait to check this out!!

Sounds pretty amazing! Lot of different malts happening there. And I’ve never heard of those hops before. I may adjust my plans

Well guys, I finally brewed the batch I was bugging you all about. I think it will turn out more like a mild pale than a pseudo lager, but that’s ok with me. Color was a bit darker (all extract, 1/2 at beginning of boil, other 1/2 with 15 remaining) than I expected but oh well. :+1:. OG 1.056. Thanks for all the advice.

That OYL-071 Lutra Kveik yeast is really something else. Made a starter the night before with the fast pitch canned wort and it was good to go 12 hours later. Hissing at me when I shook it up.

2 Likes

So, minor disaster averted I think. Got home from the grocery store about 18 hours after completing brew. I didn’t realize I would need a blow off tube for aerated liquid yeast.:crazy_face::crazy_face: Top seemed about to blow, airlock was clogged. changed the airlock then changed it again and then just used some tubing in the airlock hole for blow off. Seemed as tight as the airlock at least. Any idea of the chances the tubing gets clogged?:grimacing::grimacing:

Oh the tube can absolutely get clogged. Keep a close eye on it…and pressure can build up fast, thankfully you’re dealing with plastic.

1 Like

Damn. I guess I will have to get some wider tubing. Such a massive amount of pressure I didn’t expect it.

Take the lid from a bucket fermentor not in use, pull the rubber grommet out and make a trip with lid in hand to home depot or local brew place for some tubing that just fits in the hole without the grommet. Then put a rubber band looped around a few times about an inch from end and insert. The rubber band prevents the tubing from going in to far.

After fermentation is complete, I cold crash my Kolsch with gelatin. Others will yell at me for using gelatin :). Point is you will want a really clear beer for this style. Da bud light people are used to really clear beers…not that many look at the clarity as they chug a can LOL

1 Like

Thanks man!! This is excellent advice. I may be able to make that trip on Saturday. Not sure exactly how far I have that tube in there now and am scared of messing with it until I have a solid solution. Still bubbling away, though. There was a little blowback of foam and air when I accidentally put a little pressure on the lid with the airlock off. Hopefully not a ruiner. This sounds solid, thanks again!!!:+1::+1:

I haven’t tried cold crashing yet. It’s cold enough here I may just set it on my porch and give it a shot. I hope they like it! And me too

If you decide to do that make sure you have a means of controlling “suck back”. Don’t just leave the blowoff tube to the air, make sure it is long enough and in Starsan solution. Cold crashing definitely will pull air back into the fermenter.

2 Likes

hhhmmmmm, seems I used to be able to attach a hose to the nipple of the airlock… You know, where that crown/hat that covers the vent?
And cold crashing… Fickle O2 allowing practice… I believe thats where the “brew-loon”, that brulosophy came up with, is employed…
Gelatin is great for kegging peeps… Although, I never tried that prior to bottling… Does it strip away too much yeast? This would be a great area to figure how much yeast and sugar to mix together for priming… wasn’t that called “naturally Krausened” ?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Cold crashing needs no suck back outside air do it slowly over a couple few days

1 Like

Is there enough CO2 in the head space to keep O2 at bay? Oh wait… Bottling… won’t the yeast consume the O2… ?Its been centuries since I bottle conditioned…
Sneezles61

1 Like

If there is enough head space in the fermenter then you are probably good to go with just an airlock. OP seems to have a bucket that might be a tad small for this judging from his picture.
I use a Cold Crash Guardian from Brewhardware.com on my 30L Spiedel.

1 Like

A lot of the questions/comments raised here are covered by northern brewer here Cold Crashing Beer for Crystal Clear Homebrew

For those wanting to know, the volume of the suck back is (gallons head space)*(70-32)/460 assuming you cool from 70 to 32. If you have a 1.5 gallons headspace, that’s roughly a pint of air. This is not a lot. The oxygen level in the headspace will be 21/12% or 1.75%. Not a lot but if you worry about it, crash in keg or use the cold crash guardian as rburrelli does. NB says don’t worry about suck back.

Side note you cold crash after fermentation is 100% completed and long after the blow off line is removed and replaced by conventional airlock. I would not want to suck a pint of starsan into my beer.

3 Likes

Wow thanks for all the advice guys. I certainly have a lot to mull over. The fermentation seems to have slowed down to “normal” for 4 days after brewing. I think I will go back to the airlock which will make my wife very happy.

1 Like

How is that (cold crash guardian)working out for you?
(I was going to order one about a year ago and they were essentially sold out or not a functioning site. Now it looks like it’s a go so I ordered one.)

I was using a filter on my racking Cane and it seemed to work fine…………….until it didn’t .:disappointed:had to break out the auto siphon in mid transfer. Again. Grrrrr

2 Likes