The IPA debate

I don’t know if you’ve ever met a Supertaster. To a Supertaster bitter is an extreme turn off. The one I know gets physically sick from bitterness. 25% of the population might be Supertasters if this is to be believed…

We’ve all had a little experience with one who hung out here for a thankfully short time…haha

2 Likes

My thoughts…

1.) In the beginning (for me 20 years back) I thought Pilsner Urquell was the reference of what all beers should taste like
2.) 8 years ago I was introduced to a Mad Hater (I thought to myself “Who could drink such a Hoppy Beer?”)
3.) Just after that I started home brewing (3-4 years ago, 2 years bottling at first blah, never again with Priming Sugar…)
4.) Focused on Porters and Stouts at first and later starting making IPA beers
5.) Now I will take an IPA over a Pilsner any day and I can not enjoy an IPA with less that 60 IBUs in it (or so)
6.) I am now a Beer Snob and proud of it.
7.) Recently I went to Denmark and all the beers there just did not cut it

Don’t try to change people who don’t like IPAs.
This has to grow on you.

lol
&:wink:

2 Likes

Well said. Besides, if people don’t like IPA, that leaves more for me!

4 Likes

This is still true with a small edit…

I finally visited the much ballyhooed Delirium Cafe in nearby Leesburg, VA. They had a nice tap line up and a couple hundred varieties in bottles. About 10 different draft beers for $5 during happy hour. I had a pilsner that I forget the name of because it was forget-able. Tasted more like a Helles to me…see my note on pilsners above…

Then,(the reason it’s in this thread) I actually ordered a Tropical Sculpin because I figured after all these years I should give sculpin another try and it was only 5 bucks. It wasn’t the over the top grapefruit sculpin. It was quite good actually.

The $5 brat on a pretzel bun with kraut and spicy grainy mustard was frickin’ delicious. I’ll go back just to try a few of the 7 varieties of mussels they have.

2 Likes

I quit homebrewing about 15 years ago. Recently got back in because it’s actually hard to find a good selection of different styles at the stores. So now I can make my own.There are WAY too many IPA’s on the store shelves. I’m not a big fan of IPA’s but it seems like 70% of the brews on the shelve are IPA’s

I have a world class/rated brewery near my work. They make the most amazing IPAs. I truly love their beers but that is pretty much all they make and after one my mouth is so blissed out on hops I cannot really taste the differences between the 20 different hoppy beers they serve.
But I guess I feel that way about certain malts as well. Tonight I’m done with honey malt, and that is truly the gift of home brewing. To be done with something and move on.

1 Like

So, there is a brewery in Pittsburgh called Dancing Gnome. They focus mostly on IPA’s but, really, all of their beers that I’ve had are amazing. I will say that I continue to be baffled by the flavors they can bring out in an IPA and how well they can describe them. I for one am not great at describing flavors. I can say that I really enjoy dank hoppy beers. I’ve always liked IPA’s (once I actually discovered beer can have flavor! unlike college swill that I hated back in the day :joy:) but I was floored by the variety in balance and flavor of the different beers I have sampled from them so far. I will continue to go back just for the experience of tasting new varieties and how they intermix flavor combinations. I am a seasonal brewer in that I brew a fairly large variety of styles and only do IPA’s in the summer so I do enjoy a large variety of styles. If you get a chance to come to Pittsburgh and are looking to try an exceptional variety of flavors in an IPA, check out Dancing Gnome! :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I’m really turned off by these “tropical” hops… Yes, I’ve tried them, and I just don’t care for them… It sure seems to be the direction from which alot of these “new” IPA’s are coming from… You are all welcome to drink my share… Leave me a bottle fresh west coast IPA this fall to try… I’ll be happy then… Sneezles61

Count me in on team West Coast IPA. Far and away my favorite camp of IPA.

I enjoy all IPA’s though, even the old line East coast IPA.s, british Ipas, as well as a well made NEIPA. Florida has a lot of East and West coast style IPAs, but I haven’t had a decent NEIPA made here.

I was in the Twin Cities last weekend for my Aunt’s funeral(sorry I couldn’t look up any of you forum locals, you understand), and did make it to Surly our last night there…they make some pretty dang good IPAs my opinion…
A toast to my Aunt, who always enjoyed a good German Dunkel…

3 Likes

Actually found Crooked Stave Sour Rose’. Can says they seed the cans.

I’ll admit I’m not hater or lover of IPA’s. I’m a fan of good beer no matter what the style. There are some IPA’s I love and some i hate. It’s not the hoppyness of the beer or even the bitterness that makes me dislike some and love the others. It just that some varieties of hops I don’t like in some beers. One of them is Summit they have onions garlic flavor that I just can’t get pass.

I’m sorry to hear of your Aunts passing, Voodoo… Next time when you get in town look up townhall brewery… More very good stuff… Sneezles61

1 Like

Exactly. People who say they hate this style or that just haven’t found the right one. I used to be the same way before I started brewing. Now I’m trying to brew all the styles so I’ll taste alot of that style until I find one to my liking. I really been enjoying mixed fermentation beers. I’ve got 2 cans of Crooked Stave in my suitcase going to pitch to a 1 gallon batch to build it up. Sorry @sneezles61 I know your a non believer

3 Likes

[quote=“brew_cat, post:35, topic:26029, full:true”]
People who say they hate this style or that just haven’t found the right one.[/quote]
Not necessarily. Read this for a different take.

2 Likes

That was pretty interesting this held true for my wife during our first pregnancy but not the second one.
“For instance, she says, we know that during pregnancy, many women become more sensitive to bitter.”

Though everyone might enjoy this article Redirecting...

I have that book mentioned in the article and it is a fun read and great reference material. You have to take all of the “effects” of various components with a grain of salt however. As far as phytoestrogens they are found in a lot of foods (ie soy, rice, bean, yams, coffee) and there is no great proof of them causing “estrogenic” physical characters. If there valid peer review findings in this area you would have seen a lot of attention because the same effects would be a cure for male baldness ( I can attest from a lot of work in this field that it doesn’t work). It’s too bad that the writer of that article doesn’t understand that Brewer’s Droop is generally associated with another part of the male anatomy not being as firm as it should be due to alcohol.