Test Bottle

I’ve read lots of places that the easiest way to test if carbonation is done, is to pop open a bottle and listen for the “PSST”.
My question is if I pop off a cap and it isn’t carbonated enough, can I recap that bottle, let it sit another week, and it will still have a good amount of carbonation? Or will I then have to just drink that bottle right then?

you can recap a bottle no problem…in fact releasing pressure from overcarbed bottles and recapping is a thing. When you uncap you will lose some Co2

An easier way to check for carbonation is to fill a 20oz plastic bottle and squeeze the air out. As the priming sugar is consumed and CO2 is produced it will cause the bottle to harden.

2 Likes

I’ll add my 2¢. When you open a bottle you may not hear a psst and it may still be carbonated. Especially a style that you are looking for a lower carbonation. You have to remember the carbonation level of an American light lager which makes the psst noise is to high for a good many styles IMO. So you have to taste it which I recommend because you may like it better at the lower carbonation. I never pass up a chance to sample weather it be wort or beer cold or warm flat or carbonated it can tell you something.

2 Likes

And oh yeah if you don’t pour any out you can recap. Open it and look for some bubbling to see if it is carbonating.

At room temp… the carbonation escapes right away… when cold, it’ll hang around for a while… Try this experiment… take 2 bottles of brew… open them both… leave one out on the table put the other in the fridge over night… then the next day get 2 glasses and side by side dump them into there own glass and see what happens… you tell me Sneezles61

Now you’re getting all “sciency” on us… Everyone knows the glasses will empty! :laughing:

1 Like

And we have a rocket scientist in the bunch too!!^^^^^^^:slight_smile: Sneezles61

1 Like