Switched My Hops, what now?

Thought I would get up early and start brewing before the family started to get in the way but obviously I was not awake yet because I added the wrong hops for bittering.

I was brewing as I say ‘an all Australian beer’ using Galaxy (13.4 AA) and Pride of Ringwood (8.6 AA) Hops with Maris Otter LME & Light Pilsner DME and using WLP009 australian yeast. Well I added the Galaxy hops (1oz.) at the 60min mark and it was one of those ‘as the hops were falling into the kettle, I realized what I had done’ moment. I was supposed to add the Pride of Ringwood (.85oz.) as my bittering and the Galaxy (1oz.) at the 5min. mark with Galaxy (1oz.) dry-hop . I thought briefly to strain out the hops but then decided what was done, was done. Figured I would learn something from it.

My guess is that it will be a bitter version of the recipe since the Galaxy is 13AA. Any thoughts on what to expect when fermentation is complete? Would dry-hopping with more Galaxy counter act the screw up and balance it out?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you were doing a partial volume boil the bittering of the Galaxy hops will be reduced. Bittering will be further reduced if you added all of the LME and DME at the beginning of the boil. High specific gravity worts will reduce the isomerization of hop oils.

I would carry on with the dry hop so aroma is not reduced. I don’t think the beer will turn out to bitter to be one you won’t drink.

It was a full boil at 7.0 gal. to get me to 5.5 gal. in fermenter with 5.0 gal out to bottle. LME at 3.3 lbs at beginning of boil with the DME added at 15min mark. I planned on dry hopping with 1oz. Galazy for 5-7 days.

Well something that may happen is the bitterness might not only be stronger, but more harsh or sharp. Galaxy is a high-cohumulone hop, which by some accounts can be much more sharp when used for bittering. Not that it is necessarily bad, but think magnum versus CTZ for bittering. Might still be a really nice beer, though.

You could have only did a 45 min boil and turn up the heat to increase boil off.