Swamp Cooler Temperatures

I have been using a swamp cooler for my 5 gallon slobber batch. It looks to be fermenting great. The water is 1/3 of the up on my fermonster. The stick on thermometer is at the top of the brew like right at the 5 gallon mark. I have been able to keep the wort between 62 and 66 for the most part but the water feels much colder. Should I have a thermometer in the water as well? I would hate for the bottom of the wort to be cold and the top fine. Thanks.

Check the water temperature if you can. 65°F water does feel very cool to me. I try to rinse my fermentors with cool water. The water is usually in the upper 70° range, warmer than what I want, when it feels very cool to the touch.

1 Like

Good call in there thermometer. Checked the water in 3 different places and it was 66 degrees which is what the thermometer on my fermentor says as well. It definitely feels much cooler than that. Haha.

1 Like

So how long will the ice bags last? Before you got to replace them. Me do use ice bottels

When I have done these measurements after visible fermentation is competed, I have found that wort temperature is the same as the stick-on thermometer.

I have also measured wort temperature once or twice during the first days of fermentation. In my situation (no swamp cooler, larger volumes of wort), with an ambient temperature of ~ 62*, the stick on thermometer shows ~ 64* and the wort term is ~ 66*. Once visible fermentation finishes (around day 4 after pitching yeast), the stick-on thermometer and wort temperature will read the same.

1 Like

Usually last a while. The haven’t timed it. I work in a lab so we receive a lot of refrigerated items so i have an endless supply of ice packs. Haha.

1 Like

I assumed the wort temperature was a little warmer than what the thermometer was showing. Thats why I tried to keep in on the low end of the temperature range for the yeast.

1 Like

Reason got lots of these in my fridge. They do come with the yeast package