Suggestions for belgian yeast

That’s what I was hoping to do. Gonna give it some more time. My wort is kettle souring right now and probably won’t be ready to boil until mid-afternoon so hopefully I’ll have some activity by then. I’ve got a packet of t-58 for a backup if necessary.

Cheers,

Ron

Shake the living bejesus into it! Make it all foamy… Sneezles61

The t58 should be just fine, since the low pH will suppress ester formation from the Belgian yeast. It might not finish very dry, but that’s probably ok if you’re simulating a Flanders red with a kettle sour. You could even let the soured wort sit for a bit since the low pH will keep most things from growing in there. I’d add the starter, give it a few days, and if nothing happens add the t58.

Thanks PC. Thats the plan right now. I put the starter on a stir plate this morning and it is since showing signs of activity

Haha Sneezles I shook the double bejesus out of it! No foam at all. Stir plate has it going a little though…

Cheers,

Ron

1 Like

Well the yeast took off like a champ in the sour. Had activity about 4 hours after pitching the starter. Pitched at around 75* and just left everything at room temp. On Monday (1 day in) had a nice blowoff but had blowoff tube in place. Lost a bit of yeast but we’re still getting activity now. I should just relax! Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Ron

Just relax ya boner :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep a jar of that yeast, it’s obviously nicely acclimated for that environment! It just needed a hit of acid to get going.

:dizzy_face: ^^^^^^^^ Sneezles61