Suck back up the blow off tube 😩

Can anyone help me ?

I have been fermenting a Saison DuPont clone for 5 weeks (stalled fermentation) but it got there.

Pretty warm fermentation to get the yeast restarted the yeast seems to like it really warm I had to be super patient.

I was getting ready to keg and pulled the blow off tube out of my bottle of star san a fair amount of star san shot up the blow off tube into the fermenter … I almost started crying !!!

I had removed the temperature controller from the fermenter so it had cooled down a fair bit probably by at least 14c

Soooo 2 things

1. How do I make that terrible thing never happen again ?
  2. Will the beer be ok ?

Many thanks

Matthew

I believe you won’t have too much an issue if a tablespoon or so got into the brew…
Chilling with a hose/airlocker on is a problem… Since my tube makes it out of the freez-mentor, I can keep an eye on whats going on… I’ll pull the tube IF its starting to creep up… then dunk it back into the mason jar with the fluid…
I haven’t done this, its still just a thought… To apply the gas when cold crashing… My fermenter will hold at best 5 psi’s… Set the freez-mentor to 32*F and apply just the modest amount of gas and walk away… is the thinking…
Maybe look at Bru-ology and their brew-loon gizmo too…
Sneezles61

1 Like

It won’t be an issue.

2 Likes

When fermentation is done I’ll pull the air lock and put a piece of tape over the opening. Ill cold crash in stages. A little starsan won’t hurt anything

1 Like

Couldn’t have been enough to matter. Don’t sweat it.

Thank you

I left a glass of Starsan on the counter after I sanitized something and my wife drank it later thinking it was her glass of water. She was really upset and a year later still tells me about it. You’ll be fine.

6 Likes

I heard a shot of starsan a day will keep the Vid away! or was that clorox? :joy:

1 Like