Strawberry Basil Saison

I’ve been intrigued to brew with basil, and a strawberry basil saison keeps calling my name. Anyone ever tried brewing with basil? I’ve read recommendations of steeping .5 oz of fresh leaves per 5 gallon batch. How about strawberries? When I brew my raspberry wheat, I add about .5 lbs of frozen red raspberries per gallon in secondary. I’m thinking strawberries will need to be more like 2 lbs per gallon. Thoughts? Any advice are greatly appreciated.

Sláinte! :beers:

Basil is a great herb. But like anything with flavors and aroma it has a half-life and will dwindle with time. I recommend you make a series of basil teas first to experiment with amounts. There are varieties of basil with more intensity and less vegetable matter. You might want to seek out or grow those.
I have never brewed with strawberries. IMO strawberries are all about aroma and their taste, once the sugars have been fermented out, will be next to non existent. So I think you are right about adding as much as possible.

2 Likes

Dont know about strawberries think there Will be not so much flav. From the strawberries. If you do use fresh ones. Mayby. A natural syrup. Might help. Most the time syrups. Got a stronger. Flavour. You might want to add them to secondary. 5 to 10 days. Before. Kegging or botteling

1 Like

Planning my Strawberry Basil Saison brew day. I’ve decided I’ll be using the Northern Brewer Lemondrop Saison recipe (attached) for my base, adding .75oz fresh basil with 5 mins left in boil and 8-10 Ibs frozen strawberries in secondary.

Question is, should I forego the final 1oz of Lemondrop hops at flameout to avoid over-bittering with my addition of the basil?

I’ll be using the Omega Yeast Saisonstein’s Monster yeast.

1 Like

I would only use the bittering addition. Late additional hops is just going to muddle the basil. I would brew it without the strawberries once to establish your base

So you’re recommending ONLY using the US Magnum and eliminating both Lemondrop additions, is that right?

What does Barke malt bring to the party? A tail wagging’ good time? :no_mouth:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thats just me

1 Like

I don’t think this will benefit from bittering either. But I would do the opposite and do all the additions at flameout and a little hops stand.

1 Like

Yeah, I confused the bittering/aroma order.

Flameout is aroma. The 10 min times could be called “flavor” by today’s standards of aroma additions. When I started 10 min additions were considered aroma times but by and large that has changed.

1 Like