Straub IPL

Straub is a local regional traditional brewery from St Marys Pa established in the 1870’s. I was at my local beer distributer who was offering beer samples and to my surprise Straub has started to brew a different style of beer a india pale lager. I tried a sample and it was quit good with a low priced for a india pale beer. It has a nice citrusy flavor but not much aroma the IBU’s were 63 with alc of 5.6%. I hope the local bars starts to carry this b/c this should be a good inexpensive option instead of the high priced craft beers. I’m guessing they are using lager yeast because that is their house strain and they have no experience with ale yeasts. The lager yeast seems to work with the beer as it is tasty. Anyone in Pa should give it a try.

Ballast Point makes an IPL that’s pretty damn tasty. That style will be making it onto my brewing schedule some day.

I’m just glad that some of the old regional brewery’s are stepping out of their comfort zone and trying new to them different beer styles. I’m sure the craft beer trends are hurting them and their trying to adapt.