Strange Fermentation...

Afternoon all,

Brewed a pale ale this past Saturday

10lbs pale
1 lb c60
.5 lbs carapils

Used a third generation White Labs California Yeast (001) with a starter. Hit 75% efficiency with no major issues. Chilled the wort to 70 degrees, placed in temperature controlled fermentation chamber, and pitched yeast when wort was around 65 degrees. Temp controller set at 62 degrees.

Here is my question. Within eight hours, there were visible signs of fermentation — krausen, airlock activity, etc. For the past several days the beer appeared to be fermenting normally. It wasn’t until this morning when I went and checked on the beer before work, that I realized the entire airlock was covered in krausen and yeast. This normally doesn’t bother me, but why is this happening after 2 or three full days into fermentation? This is the second beer that this has happened with (same yeast used!). The first beer tastes great; I’m just wondering why fermentation is ramping up after a few days following the addition of yeast. I have not adjusted the temperature at all. It is still set on 62 degrees.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I’m not worried, rather just a bit confused.

It just means that all the yeast are focused on fermenting instead of replicating. Some of them get to work right outta the gate, others would rather fornicate and make new yeast. By the time day three or four rolls around, everybody’s working toward the same goal; eatin’ ‘n fartin’.

:cheers:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. My fermentation chamber is an upright dorm fridge, so space is tight with a 6.5 gallon bucket. I just installed a blowoff tube, as I normally do on all my beers. Haven’t been doing it lately due to space. Thanks!

Oh there’s a great joke in there somewhere.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the closest they get to getting’ down is when they split

Yeast reproduce asexually by budding. That can’t be too much fun :slight_smile:

A bakers yeast cell looks at a brewers yeast cell and says to his friend, “Man I’ll bet that one’s good in the sach.”

Do skanky yeast get people infections?

That is too funny. :smiley:

Win[quote=“JMcK”]Do skanky yeast get people infections?[/quote]
and win!!

Best beer thread ever.