Storage of corked bottles

Should I store the bottles on their sides to keep the corks from drying out?

best i could find.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

[quote=“Pietro”]best i could find.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store[/quote]

Thanks. I don’t see things being stored for very long times anyway :slight_smile:

[quote=“jbushee”][quote=“Pietro”]best i could find.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store[/quote]

Thanks. I don’t see things being stored for very long times anyway :slight_smile: [/quote]

always a struggle. However with some beers, it is WELL worth it. Have about 18 12-ozs of a 6 month-old biere de garde that is aging like a fine wine (finer actually)…they say those are best after a minimum of a YEAR…same with my old ale/xmas ale. Needs a MINIMUM of 6 months.

When I finally get around to a flanders, you can’t even bottle that typically until a year out!

I stored my Belgians on their sides for about a year, having been convinced by photos of Belgian breweries that stored them on their sides at the brewery cellars. I have recently switched to upright storage for all the reasons expressed on that BA article. (I also think that one reason the Belgian breweries stored them horizontally was because it was more space efficient.)

I’ve always stored mine upright. I use champagne bottles and cork then cap them.

I’m confused…this question is under a Mead title!
If I missed something, sorry! This is my first post.

I have purchased a technical cork (Neutrocork), and as a new mead maker wanted to know how I should store my bottles. I sent an email to the mfg. (AMORIM) but have not received a reply.
On the ‘Portacork America’ website (under neutrocorks) it says “After bottling, keep wine upright for a minimum of 5 –10 minutes” then it says, “Bottles should always be kept in an upright position”
I have also emailed Portacork with no reply.

Any thoughts on bottle position during storage (MEAD) when using technical corks?

I will probably get different corks for bottling and would also appreciate some thoughts on the best choices (preferably natural) that would be good for long term storage and provide little if any potential for taint.

Natural corks need to be kept on their side if your wine/mead/beer is still. If carbonated, you can keep them upright, which can prevent cork taint if something goes wrong. However, Cantillon stores their corked bottles on their side when conditioning, and I think they know what they’re doing.

Non-natural corks should be stored upright as they will not dry out and degrade like a natural cork will if it’s not in contact with the liquid.

Thanks, both current batches are still meads.
The neutrocork is a technical cork (cork granules glued? together) so, not necessarily a natural cork,
however I am looking for some Natural cork “recommendations” one that is not susceptible to taint…

Don’t think I would want the glue in contact with the liquid for an extended period. I’d keep that one upright.

Thanks,
copied from http://www.portocork.com/pdf/POR_Neutro_SH.pdf

Neutrocork®—a high-performing, valuepriced
natural cork closure treated with our
exclusive process “ROSA” (extraction of
2, 4, 6 TCA by steam distillation). Since its
launch in 2001, winemakers have embraced
Neutrocork® as a natural cork alternative
to synthetic stoppers. With a consistent
diameter and regular shape, Neutrocork®
creates an excellent seal, and performs
well on the bottling line and on the shelf.

Still looking for some advise/recommendations on the best Natural Corks

I personally like the #9 premium corks that NB sells, both for still wines and carbonated cork and cap bottles. They have an agglomerated section in the middle, but the ends are natural cork. Even though they’re larger diameter, I find that they insert easier than the first-quality ones that tend to disintegrate on the ends if the bottle neck runs slightly small.

Thanks, they look promising…too bad I just placed an order. I’ll have to wait until my next one (can’t pay $7.99 shipping just for corks)