STC-1000 do they fail often?

I wired mine up a while ago and finally put it to use in my cold garage. It controlls a heat pad that keeps my lager at 48F in a 41F room. Was working great for a week, then I visited the beer to see that the display was off. Power button did nothing. Un-plugged, then plugged it in again. Display showed a believable temp, the “heat” light came on, and a half second later it went black.

Took it out of the box and it all looks good. Connections seem good, no shorts (no exposed copper).

Any ideas? The temps dipped below freezing in the garage for a few days but I’d think even cheap electronics could handle that, right?

Trying to decide if I want to try a new one or save up the bucks for a “real” controller that does heating and cooling.

I’ve been running 1 non-stop for 2 months lagering and no issues. I have a second running a fermenting chamber for the same time frame, again no issues.
Maybe you got a bad one? Did you get any sort of warranty? I only paid $22 each for mine, so anything beyond DOA is little to complain about.
I’m thinking about getting more so I can make my fermentation chamber into 4 separate sections for more specific use.
John

I guess I’ll try one more. Cheap is cheap, knew I should have bought something nicer and wasted less time.

Mine works great. The wiring was tricky. I got it free from a friend so had to look it up and turned out that a lot of people weren’t wiring it in right…like the way it ended up with me. This may help. I’d say double check the wiring to make sure it’s wired in right. As cheap as they are, if mine broke, i’d buy another. The nice thing is, that they make a good panel display. I recently made a keezer. Got 2x4’s on the keezer as a collar with 3 tap handles on the right and the temp control on the left so i can easily monitor/adjust settings as needed.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewt ... 23&t=17872

Just bought a new one, been working for a week. I thought that perhaps cramming the whole mess into a small outlet box might have stressed the circuit board, so the wires are hanging out in the breeze :smiley: Well taped, but not very professional. Some day I’ll get a nice big box so there is no worry of connections getting strained as all the wire is crammed in, but it’s working great so far.