Star-San?

Hello I know this question probably been asked thousands of times but when mixing Star-San with distilled water how long will it last for I know if I had a pH meter to test it to see if it at a pH of 3 it’s still good. But I don’t have a pH meter to test my star-San are there other methods to tell if my star-San is any good?

I toss mine when it gets really cloudy and smells funny. It lasts awhile

I use the pH strips that have a range of 2.8 to 4.4 to check for 3.0. I know they are not truly accurate but I feel close enough. I make up my solution just a bit stronger than the recommended strength. The solution will keep forever if you don’t get it really dirty. I make it a practice to let a bucket sit for a while before pouring the solution back into jugs. I dump the last couple of ounces in the bucket because it may contain solid sediments.

The solution will be cloudy when I use my tap water. Still effective though. The minerals in the water react with the acid to turn it cloudy but the pH remains unchanged.

Do you have pets?

Have three cats in the house. Occasionally I have to take the nozzle of the spray bottle off to remove a plug of cat hairs. Doesn’t seem to affect sanitation for beer. Lot more carpet vacuuming though.

I keep my star scan in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. After 3 or 4 uses, I tend to start finding cat and dog hair at the bottom of my bucket. Once I see it, I dump it and start fresh.

Same here. I have to admit sometimes I push the limits, I’ve also added a dash of fresh starsan and topped up to 5 gallons…no problems yet…

I haven’t topped up but generally when it gets really low I’ll make a new batch up.

I’ve got to make a bucket with a pump in it… Some kinda draining rack on it too… Put it on wheels… It would be a great addition to my brewing/kegging days… Sneezles61

1 Like

How about some quick connects for your brew pump keep it sanatized

1 Like

Mines bolted to my brew stand. But that would work very nicely… Research time… Sneezles61

I keep mine in a six gallon bucket with a lid…prior to water softener it would be cloudy…now its clear. Sometimes i rinse things off in it that i shouldnt… so i get to see some solids when i dump it :grinning:

Kitchen cutting boards are good to star san, can’t hurt…right?

2 Likes

Plastic… and star san is in a plastic bottle… I would say, yes, its safe… Are U gonna double back on me Voodoo? :grin: Sneezles61

1 Like

I have re-used my Star-San in a bucket with lid a week later but never keep it past that.
Always dump, clean then re-create if past a week.
No issues yet using that method.

Stick to the recommended dilution.

GENERAL USE DIRECTIONS
All surfaces should be cleaned and rinsed before sanitizing with STAR SAN.

Directions: A dilution of 1 ounce to 5 gallons of water, STAR SAN will provide 300 ppm of dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. After 1 to 2 minutes contact time, drain sanitizing solution equipment thoroughly. Do not rinse. If using Star San in CIP, proper water balance must be maintained or your pump may cavitate. If used at a rate of more than 300 ppm, a potable rinse is required.

Part Soaking: Use 1 ounce of STAR SAN per 5 gallons of water. Parts must have contact with solution for 30 seconds and put on wet. When solution begins to cloud, sweeten with Star San or Phosphoric Acid. Solution must remain at a pH at 3 or below to maintain proper sanitizing level.

I go well beyond a week :grinning:

2 Likes