Stainless Hop Basket?

You’re DHing with whole leaf hops? or pellets?

Sorry for all the follow up questions but I don’t want to spend 40-50 bucks on something I won’t be happy with…

I just prefer my IPAs full of flavor and aroma yet clear.

I DH with either. I usually use pellets, but have used whole before. Well as far as flavor is concerned, I’m confident that you’ll like the product. As far as clarity, I’m the same way, I like my IPA’s to be crystal clear. My beers pour clear, but the first few pours can be kinda shaky. Once those hops get settled in the tube it’s fine, but the loose hop dust when you first put the screen in can cause some haze. I really can’t think of a product that could possibly filter the hops as good as this and at the same time, allow for good contact with the beer.

Sounds like I should check it out…I guess it’s too late to go rooting trough @uncdeo 's garbage can for the one the tossed…I saw some on ebay much cheaper but they’re made in China so I wonder if they’re really stainless…

Good luck. Let me know how you like it if you buy one. I really like mine.

I would love to have mine back to dry hop in primary.

Didn’t I see some on brew hardware ? I thought his prices were decent… Sneezles61

They have the 12" one for a good price but It only holds about 2 oz of hops according to my research. The 18" will hold 3+ according to reviews I’ve read. Stainless brewing has it for 47.99.

1 Like

Ive not looked there, and I should look at Utah Biodiesel… Sneezles61

Utah Biodiesel has the 18" one for $72. They have the keg lids with the hanger on them also.

1 Like

So what’s the verdict brother…?

I bought one of the 18" ones from stainlessbrewing.com. $47.99 with free shipping. I have an IPA ready to keg and DH so I’m hoping to get it in a couple days.

Let us know how it works out. I’m interested in trying this. I’m looking forward to brewing some IPA’s later this winter or spring, and now that I’m kegging, I should be able to get a better handle on the “Oxidation beast of IPA’s”. My 2016 NEIPA’s, all bottled, were uneven. 1 was quite good, one decent(but oxidation noticeable), and the 3rd was a disappointing oxidized mess.(I still drank it).

2 Likes

I kegged an IPA 4 days ago. I had 2 oz of hops in the dry hopper and just lowered it to the bottom of the keg then racked the beer in. I let it sit at room temperature for 3 days then put it in the fridge last night.

First 1/4 pint I pulled was green and smelled fantastic. Second 1/4 pint is pictured below. If you like a juicy hazy IPA you’d probably like it. It was a bit gnarly.

Then I poured a little more than half a pint and it hasn’t cleared up of course but it’s drinkable and no excessive hop matter. This is after a little less than 24 hours in the fridge at 36F.

I’ll likely order another dry hopper now. I’m considering the lid and chain made for it but for $28 I can almost get a second dry hopper. The lids with the hanger are on sale at AIH for $17 but they don’t have the chain. Stainless brewing has the lid and chain for $28 or the chain alone for $10. I guess I could always use dental floss or fishing line to tie it to the lid.

1 Like

I would get the dry hopper and lid and skip the chain. I would use fishing line.

Just drop it in there and retrieve it when it kicks… What I do with the tea ball. Sneezles61

yea that’s what I’ve been doing with my paint strainer bags. Was just thinking about “what ifs”. LIke what if I want it for another keg before the first one kicks. Two should keep me going though…

1 Like

Those tea balls aren’t too expensive either… should you need a couple for a keg… Sneezles61

Just an update on use of the hop basket. I kegged and DHed this beer on 2/15, put it in the fridge on the 18th. So about two weeks chilled and on gas. It’s juicy and has great aroma. It’s not as clear as my IPAs DHed with the paint strainer bag. I can see through it but can’t read through it. It may have a little better hop presence though. So I’m OK with the loss of clarity at the moment.

I’m ready to keg another IPA soon so I think I’ll order another dry hopper.

1 Like

I too am good with less clarity.

1 Like

I never really got my shorts in a bunch about being sparkling clear. quite clear is, well clear enough! Sneezles61