SsBrewtech Kettle issues

Hi everyone… i have an homebrew setup made with SsBrewtech kettles…

I needed to do some work on a pot: I had to make a hole in the bottom to weld a valve.

I can not weld steel, so I asked a craftsmanthat usually do this kind of work.
But he had sometroubles welding the valve part inside the pot, because (he sayed to me) the bottom of the pot is really thin, so it is easily pierced. The problem is that the outer part, the one in contact with the flame if you heat the pot on the gas, does not seem to be made in steel, so it becomes impossible to weld it …

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with those pots, or does someone have any ideas on how to weld it? the welding was done at the TIG…

Thanks for your help

Problem could be that the person you took it to did not specialize in working with stainless. TIG welding is arc welding. No flame. Working with stainless also requires flushing the heated area with inert gas.

After welding fittings on my first kettle (keg), I went with weldless fittings on the others. The easiest way I’ve found to drill is a 1" Unibit.

Why even bother welding to make your valve fitting? You can buy compression fit values that screw on right here at NB. They utilize some lovely silicone O rings that stand up to the heat perfectly and only require finger tight compression.

1 Like

Silver soldier… MAPP gas… I have quite a few examples piled up in my shed…Sneezles61

Had the same experience with my SS conical. Welder had no problem with the bottom valve but also said it was too thin do do the side valve. Ended up making me a bulkhead port. Not knowing he used automotive sealant so I had to remove, clean it up and use food grade.

For a kettle valve just make sure to get high temp seals.

I need to weld the valve, because it is not a simple valve, and also because it is a big valve…
In my setup, i will filter all not in mash pot, but in an another one… so i need a valve with a properly size, that allow transfer of all grains too…

@squeegeethree the valve you posted me, doesn’t work for my purpose… plus, I’m from Italy and the cost for the shipmentshould be too high. anyway for all others usage i need, i obviously use weldless fittings.
In this case, i must weld a valve on bottom of the pot…

At the end I get the solution: they will cut the entire bottom of the pot, for the size of the esternal part (that is 46 cm instead of the 48cm of the kettle bottom), and make a new one totaly in Stainless Steel that they will weld using the 2cm of the bottom remaining… so even if the bottom is really thin, on the back now they will find a Stainless Steel part and not aluminium, so they will weld properly…
Well, I hope so :grin::grin:

Here some pics of the first weld, when he found aluminium…
When i get the pot back, with “new bottom” i will post some pics to show you the final result…

I’d be very afraid to ferment in that… I’ve been silver soldiering/brazing spuds on my equipment… Only takes a plumbers torch… Sneezles61

This is not the fermenter, but the mash pot…

OOPPSS… never mind then…:rolling_eyes: Sneezles61