Splash!

The thing I don’t like about using lube on my lids: sometimes the o-ring sticks to the keg when I remove the lid.

Normally not a problem; however, tonight I remove the lid in one fluid motion and…splash. The o-ring stuck just long enough for me to remove the lid, and then fell straight into my fresh 5 gallons of beer.

Thinking now that I should have been more conscientious about sanitizing my o-rings! Good thing I had extra o-rings on hand though.

Man, that sucks. I don’t use the stuff currently, but been thinking maybe I should again. I don’t how it does stick to the deal. Can you sanitize them after they’ve had keg lube on them? 'Cause the stuff doesn’t really wash off.

Yeah, this is tough. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to soak the lid and o-ring in star-san for a couple minutes, but I don’t do this. I fill the keg halfway with star-san, put the lid on, rest for a couple minutes, then flip the keg (only point where parts of the lid and that o-ring get sanitized), rest for a few minutes, and then push the star-san out.

Buy a new lid o-ring gasket and it should seal properly without need lube. I soak my entire lid and gasket in sanitizer each time I fill a keg

I always toss mine into the batch of sanitizer as I’m syphoning into the keg. Pull it out clean and sanitized when I’m done and pop it on. No problems.

Damn it! It happened again tonight! It fell in so fast I didn’t have a chance to react. When am I going to learn to sanitize my frackin’ lid o-rings?

Well, quit opening your kegs after they’ve been sealed!

[quote=“Beersk”]
Well, quit opening your kegs after they’ve been sealed![/quote]
LOL. That would seem the sensible thing to do, but then I would have to find an alternative way to get this in and out of my keg when dry hopping: :slight_smile:

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“Beersk”]
Well, quit opening your kegs after they’ve been sealed![/quote]
LOL. That would seem the sensible thing to do, but then I would have to find an alternative way to get this in and out of my keg when dry hopping: :slight_smile: [/quote]
Those are pretty slick looking. I thought you were supposed to keep them in there until the keg kicks?

[quote=“inhousebrew”]I always toss mine into the batch of sanitizer as I’m syphoning into the keg. Pull it out clean and sanitized when I’m done and pop it on. No problems.[/quote]Yup, that’s my SOP as well.

[quote=“Beersk”]
Those are pretty slick looking. I thought you were supposed to keep them in there until the keg kicks?[/quote]
That can definitely be done, but I don’t use it that way because it would take my dry hopper out of commission for too long. I dry hop in the keg for a week at room temp and then remove the dry hopper, cold crash, add finings, carb and serve.

I have thought about getting a second one so I can leave one in the keg while serving and have another available for dry hopping a second keg in parallel, but I’m happy with the results I get using my normal procedure and can think of better ways to spend $50.