Sour fail

My kettle sour plum gose is not very sour. I used good belly to sour. A couple things I may have pitched the good belly to warm 120F also forgot to shake it up. So what to do now. I think I may rack onto a gallon of my sour Pinot saison to share some tartness or I can pitch some of my mixed culture in. Any Ideas?

The more I think about it maybe I’ll just bottle it and call it a Plum Weiss or maybe a combination of above. I could even secondary it on a 1/2 gallon of cranberry juice.

Do another sour and mix? Sneezles61

That’s another option

How long do you leave the good belly in the kettle?

Normally 12 to 18 hrs. This time 24hrs. Not sure what went wrong. I only added about 8oz of mango good belly. Like I said I forgot to shake it up. I’ve previously used plain or blueberry and add 16oz

Just goes to show you how hard it is to judge your own beer. Had one of my sour tasters over and was assured it was good as is. We tried blending it with another sour and it was decided to leave it alone. So into the keg as a sour plum Weis.

Yeh it’s very difficult to judge your own brew and even more difficult to trust friends saying, “oh yeh it was great”. I sent a bottle of that Flanders red I was talking about to the guys from brew nation who do the sour hour podcast last week for some solid feedback. Still waiting to hear back…

Which carrier ships brews? Some won’t touch alcohol… Sneezles61

I’ve been sending bottles through ups for years now. I believe it is USPS that wont do it because of federal regulations.

Ok new plan. I pitched a little of the harvested mixture like @damian_winter suggested and 24hrs no sourness. Now something is happening because getting a bit of foam and it turbid. I’m going to let it sit a couple days and in three days just pitch the rest of the mixed culture slurry the sour cherry puree and maybe a package of Belle saison to boot. My only concern is I never did a full boil. What is the consensus? Should I do the boil ? Never added any hops per my recipe.

The little bit you pitched is to give the lacto a chance to build its self up before the yeast consumes the sugars. Don’t worry if you had alittle lag time. As for the no boil no big deal just keep the oxygen out and a nice blanket of co2

After you get your sourness i would heat it up and pasteurize it and add the hops then. I do this with alot of my sours and dry hop them later

Good news. After 24 hrs starting to sour. Very turbid and can actually hear it hissing. Going to let it go another 12 hours. Let it get good and sour. I hope it doesn’t blow up. Sitting in the kettle with the lid taped on with electrical tape. I have a hole in the lid where the thermometer goes. I have tape on that with a couple holes poked in it to let out the pressure. So far it tastes nice. Plan on boiling it in the morning. I’ve got high hopes

2 Likes

Guess it fermented some. The OG is at .012 after 2.5 days. Boiled it and chilling now. I guess il pitch it to the fruit. Probably boiled off the alcohol not my intention. If I knew it fermented I probably would have not boiled it so long

Really not sure what’s going on but maybe I got a bad gravity reading after the boil. Like I said it was .012 after the boil so I was assuming I got some fermenation during the souring phase. I boiled up a 1/2 cane sugar and added it in with the wort to get some more fermentables incase I boiled off the etoh. The airlock is still active after more than a week. I would not have expected that with the low gravity. Getting close to racking it to the fruit. Not sure what to expect from this one

1 Like

Bumping this because i just found a bottle of this and damn its awesome. Also found an old bottle of a barrel aged porter that soured in the bottle. Unfortunately can’t replicate either of these. But i know i got ti get back ti some sours

1 Like

Guess i should send a pic. Still turbid which is nice

2 Likes

Looks freakin’ great…just spent a few hours at the Funkatorium here in Asheville, NC and enjoyed a flight of sours here…so sours are on my mind.

1 Like