So I just put my first small batch in a secondary

So I just put my first small batch in a secondary…, wanted to run IT through a SS mesh. Seems to be much clearer. Im doing the nb west coast radical red, gravity is higher then target…but thats ok…going to bottle Next week…this is my first run…did the boil on the Gigawort…love IT!

Just to clarify, you were moving your brew from primary fermenter to a secondary vessel and you ran it through stainless steel mesh?

2 Likes

Yes…is that bad?

I sanitized everything

Could be. You never want to introduce oxygen to a fermented beer.

3 Likes

But wont I do that when I bottle? Its exposed then

You try to minimize the exposure when bottling. The bigger problem is aerating the beer, which running it through a screen could do.

1 Like

Bottle conditioning gives the yeast just a little bit to work with… You don’t want to splash/whirlpool/tidal wave it… It’s call “rack it very quietly” SSSHHHH… No noise… Very gentle little stir with the spoon to help get/keep the sugar in solution.
Sneezles61

1 Like

Well hopefuly I didnt f IT up,

Relax, live and learn. You’ll still have beer. Just drink it fast.

2 Likes

Think this can bring on wanted o2 in to the secondary. But not sure. I would just rack it straight into the secondary. And not use a stainless steel mash. But on the end just wait and see and drink

You’ll be fine. It’s a small batch, you will drink it before it takes on the cardboard quality of oxidation.
When you get your practice down you will not worry about straining. The process takes care of that on its own. I strain only my wort going from my kettle to my primary and I let time and process do the rest.

2 Likes

I recommend not doing a secondary. if you must, just be careful racking from the primary and don’t get too greedy in trying to pull every drop above the trub. screens or other filters are unnecessary IMO.

as for bottling, if you use a bottling wand and avoid splashing, you should be fine. I find if you plan, track your steps, and take good notes, you’ll identify your mistakes much better than I or anyone else will.

most importantly, no need to overthink it. in the wise words of charlie - RDWHAHB

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the info, I Will remember my mistakes and move forward

2 Likes