Smoked Honey?

I just finished up a 1 gallon batch of chamomile mead… I was trying to think of other things to make and I thought of smoked honey… I haven’t really had it, but a friend of mine makes it… I tasted it once, but didn’t taste all that smokey to me. I know I could make it better… I did a quick search and came up empty… Has anyone ever tried this?

I don’t make mead and have never heard of this. But I think you could steep some smoked malt in water then boil it for a few minutes to kill anything that was living on the grain, cool and then add your honey to it.

1 Like

Not too concerned with the smoking of the honey… Just more curious if anyone as made a mead with it… I’m trying to think of a fruit that would compliment it… Pear?

Anyone?.. Anyone?.. Bueller?

Am I crazy for even suggesting such a thing? Is it blasphemous?

I seriously thought I was on to something… I guess not…LOL

I googled smoked honey and got quite a few possibilities. The top of the list was a guy from San Fran who smoked the honey with smoked tea . The method for smoking was pretty easy. He only did 1/2 cup at a time so you might need to scale up his setup depending on how much you need. He says the smokey flavor is very noticeable. I’ve made one mead and I like mead-it’s just expensive to make (compared to beer). But I don’t think you’re crazy at all. I think the smoke could play very well in a mead. Here’s the address— Smoked Honey | Smoked Honey Recipe | Eat the Love . Good luck.

Cheers,

Ron

1 Like

Thanks Ron! I have seen that article before… I also dabble in smoking meat so I have about 5 different smokers I could choose from… I think at 15 bucks, it’s worth trying a gallon, but you are right… much more expensive than beer :smile:

Made it once however after a month I guess there wasn’t any flavor or smell! And I think pear should be fine