Slow start with Danstar BRY-97 West Coast

Don’t know if this is a problem for me or not or if I should have re-pitched with a different yeast. I brewed Saturday using NB SMASH ale extract kit. It came with the Danstar BRY-97 dry yeast pack which I used. I have never used this yeast before so didn’t know what to expect. The brew session went well. Cooled the wort to 70 degrees in about 35 minutes and transferred to a carboy, put in cooler to drop temp some more. Rehydrated the yeast per Palmers instructions and pitched the yeast at 64 degrees wort temp. 24 hrs later on Sunday I did not see any activity in the airlock and no krausen forming. Got worried and did a little research and found that many have had the same problem with a slow start but others have had a fast aggressive start. The yeast was not old and had been refrigerated then set out 24 hrs before brew day. Decided to give it a little more time. This morning approximately 36 hrs into fermentation it has now formed a nice foamy krausen and seems to be on its way. So what should I have done? Leave it be like I did? Re-pitch? Just asking for future reference. I don’t know if the late start will cause issues with the beer results. Anyone else have issues with this yeast? If so what did you do?

I would have let it go as you did if I felt everything was done correctly with the yeast handling. Sometimes yeast doesn’t behave the way it is supposed to even though quick starts are possible above 63°F wort temperature according to Danstar. Take a look at Danstars’ data sheet for the yeast. Was there any differences in the rehydrating procedure in Palmers’ book and Danstars’ instructions?
http://www.danstaryeast.com/products

The procedures are pretty much the same as far as I can see. My yeast was probably warmer than the wort it was pitched into. I did not take a final temp on it before pitching it and I pitched it within about 10 minutes of being done rehydrating. Maybe that was the issue. Danstar describes it as a fast and vigorous fermentation yeast but that’s not what I see happening.

I too would have let it be. Seems to me the more you mess with beer and try to “fix” it you make things worse. Then to complicate matters you have no idea what worked, what didn’t and what was provided (good or bad).

I wouldn’t worry about lag time until it hit the 72 hour mark. Of course, proper sanitation and processing is big with that recommendation.

1 Like

+1!

RDWHAHB… Too much worrying will give you ulcers. I think when Danstar describes their yeast, they are saying MOST, not every time. You are going to be a few weeks away from a great home brew! Sneezles61

Thanks to all for the responses so far. It was just strange to me that this didn’t take off like I thought it should have. It was actually the first time I have re-hydrated a dry yeast and I was worried I did something wrong at first. The only reason I did was because with this yeast it seemed to be strongly recommended. All the other dry yeasts I have just pitched on top and I have done only 2 yeast starters so far. Never had this issue before but then again I’m only into my 9th brew. It still is not fermenting very aggressively rt now at 66 degrees, just chugging along, but I’m sure all is OK. If not I have 2 others in carboys rt now to deal with.:beers:

Indeed leave it be. Did find out give it time. Somehow sudenly. Magic happens. You worry. And than the yeast starts. Had a beer did pitch extra yeast. It start to worry. But on the end. Me not happy. Like it the wise words of joda. We must wait. We must do