Slow leak - help?

Hey all, new to kegging. Got a 5lb tank and one get w/ the gas connected @ 11PSI for a low and slow carb of Smashing Pumpkin. After about 12 hours in the refrigerator the PSI on the tank gauge went from just under 800 to about 575. Yikes…

Sprayed all the connections with StarSan but no apparent bubbles. My question is - can the pressure in the tank drop this far just by putting it in the fridge (was originally room temp)? Or do I have a slow leak?

Yes you will see a pressure drop when you chill the CO2. You still have the same amount of CO2 in your tank(unless you do have a leak) but it condenses when cooled.

Keep an eye on your tank, which I’m sure you’re doing anyway, and if there’s no further drop your system is probably not leaking.

Edit: Welcome to the wonderful world of kegging! You have been liberated! :cheers:

Thanks Danny! I’m out of town for a few days but took a picture of the gauge and asked my wife to do the same at some point.

Very excited to keg… have been lurking here for the past year and gained tons of info on keezer builds and draft beer. Many thanks…

[quote=“trevelynzx”]…After about 12 hours in the refrigerator the PSI on the tank gauge went from just under 800 to about 575. Yikes…
[/quote] Sounds pretty normal to me. Just so you know, the high pressure gauge on your CO2 regulator is not like the gas gauge on your car. It doesn’t go down gradually as you use CO2. As long as the temp stays constant the reading on the gauge will stay constant too. It won’t change until just before you run out of CO2.