Slow bottle conditioning - Problem?

Here we go: 3 weeks conditioned at 70F, 24 hrs chilled. Not a great head, but the mouthfeel is way more bubbly than the previous 2 weeks and 72 hrs chilled. And tasty, went pretty well with spinach tortellini and pesto cream :+1:

Maybe quietly tip the bottles over whilst warmā€¦ Give 'em sā€™more timeā€¦ Mix up the stuffā€¦ :smirk:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Oh really?! Iā€™ve never heard that technique before. I may try that with a few. Tried one again last night and the head was about 1/8ā€, so it is carbonating just slowly. Have one more to try tonight then a couple of bombers that Iā€™m going to wait to try until they spend about a week in the fridge.

Looks like they need to carbonate more. Put them in a warm place a couple more weeks. Inverted for a day every couple

2 Likes

You filled the bottles with a bottling wand right? Leaving the headspace that it displaced?

1 Like

I think I have them in the warmest place in my house, but maybe I can find a warmer one. I will definitely try the invert trick. I havenā€™t tried my bombers yet, but will next Tues.

Yeah, I always use the wand. Seems like the safe thing to do.

When I used a bottling wandā€¦ youā€™d pull the wand outā€¦ left about 3/4" of head spaceā€¦ Most seemed to carbonateā€¦ but took a long timeā€¦
Did I mentionā€¦ I really like kegging? :blush:
Sneezles61

1 Like

They say on top of the fridge is a good place. I guess it is because of the warm air coming from the compressor below.

1 Like

I usually end up spilling a tad over the top when I use the wand. I may try to convince my next job to spring for a kegging setup so I can brew for them.

1 Like

Sounds like a good warm spot. May give that a shot

Well guys, Iā€™ll have tipped my bottles twice in 4 days as of tomorrow. I ended up leaving them in their same spot (70-72F) due to too much damn work. I think the more promising thing is a 12 oz-er carbonated very well after conditioning at room temp for 5 weeks, then fridge for one week. Flavor seemed a little more bitter and out of balance

compared to the bombers Iā€™ve tried, but whatevs.

Final test will be three days in the fridge on two of the tippers (1 12 oz and 1 bomber), after 6 total days of flip flopping. The plan is to ice down the last 12 bombers for a 2 week road trip to share with fam/friends. Road lageringā€‹:joy::joy:

1 Like