Skunky elderberry!

I have a second racking of 5 gallons of elderberry wine that has a terrible skunky rotten odor to it. The wine had a barely visible white film on it in the secondary but I was careful to leave it there when racking.
I was thinking I would splash the wine into a primary bucket and aerate it some more to try to drive the stink away. This is the first time I’ve come across this in all my years of winemaking. Does anybody have any experience with this and is the wine saveable?
Thanks,
OWG

Skunky is indicative of fermentation problems. As long as it isn’t too bad, and you take action right away, you can cure it.

Hit the wine with a low dose of sulphite (15-20PPM, about a quarter-teaspoon in 5 gallons) and then aerate it by stirring.

If that doesn’t work, you may need to treat it with a bit of copper–a chunk of plumbing pipe will do. Stick a length of pipe in for a few hours, stir it about gently, and then assess the wine again. It may take some time, but this is a gentle and easy way to control the sulphide aroma.

Let me know how it goes.