Single hop Azaaca IPA

I stumbled across this hop at my new favorite LHBS. I did Northern Brewer’s pale ale recipe my first outing with this hop. Turned out although I had some acetaldehyde problems it turned out to be a good batch. I know I did not pitch enough and that problem has now been resolved.

Now I’m doing a recipe of my own with this hop and have already bought stuff for the recipe as follows. This will be a 5 gallon batch.

12 lbs Rahr 2-row
1.4lbs Crystal 40
.4 bls white wheat

1oz Azaaca 60mins
1oz Azaaca 20mins
.5oz Azaaca 10mins
.5oz Azaaca 0mins
1oz Azaaca Dry hop probably in keg

I plan to ferment with 1272 and notice in Wyeast’s description light citrus. Now I’m wonder if I should have chosen a different yeast?

Also let me know if the rest looks off?

Not sure when I’ll brew it have time to adjust.

Certainly a personal preference thing but for my simple pale ale I’ve basically cut out crystal and use grains like munich or mix in some maris otter to add some of the heartier malt flavors rather than risk the beer being a bit sweet from crystal malts. Where you use wheat I use golden naked oats but I doubt that makes a giant difference.

Another thing on my pale that works for me is to add all late hops at whirlpool and let them hang for ~30 min rather than sprinkling them in at various times towards the end of the boil. Also rather if you are willing to deviate from the single hop thing using a high AA bittering hop saves the more expensive flavor hops for later, I often use magnum to bitter as I get a neutral bitterness fairly efficiently. Take that ounce you save and put it in the dry hop.

Even if you don’t change your recipe I’m sure it’ll be a good test beer for azacca. I did my regular pale with azzacca and mosaic and was quite pleased.

I use 1272 a lot and I don’t get citrus from it. It’s got some fruitiness, but it’s subtle. It definitely doesn’t get in the way of the hops.

1272 is very clean and predictable. My house PA and IPA yeast. Actually thinking of using it for my irish red because it was too fruity with 1084 last time.