Sierra Nevada's Otra Vez

Thanks for this great thread guys! Shrimp and Porkchop, you have inspired me to make a gose. Just picked up the goodbelly from whole foods. Two questions for pork chop:

1. I’m going to keep the lacto alive, should I let the goodbelly warm up to room temp before pitching, or go straight from the fridge?

2. Iodized or non-iodized salt?

Cheers,

Ron

It wouldn’t hurt to let it warm up, but I usually don’t bother.

You’ll want to use non-iodized salt, or sea salt. About 3g/gallon is a good starting point, and adjust from there.

Remember that lacto p is really hop intolerant… 1 or 2 IBU will prevent it from souring!

This thread also inspired me to do a kettle sour. I just check the ph it’s at 3.58, I pitched the good belly yesterday at 4 pm. I’m gonna give it a few more hours then kill the lacto and pitch a starter of cal ale. I’m thinking of adding apricots to 1 fermentor and maybe dry hop the other.

2 Likes

You guys have no idea how awesome it is that you’re giving this style of beer a try! It’s such a versatile base, and dry hopping it adds a completely different experience. Brew on! :beers:

I’ve got 2 kits on the way that I think would lend themselves to souring. One is the american wheat which uses us-05 and one is a blond ale with safbrew t-58. Am I on the right track and, if so, would one of these seem better than the other?

Thanks,

Ron

edit: the wheat is 50/50 white wheat and 2 row, the blond ale is practically all pilsner

Either would be fine! The t58 might not attenuate as well, which will cause it to appear less sour for a given amount of lactic acid. But either should be great.

You may want to scale the gravity to around 1.035-1.040. Not sure what the gravity of either kit should be, but this type of beer really works well for lower gravities. Can’t wait to see how it works for you! I’ve done 100% Pilsner lacto sours, they work just fine too.

I’ve decided to go with the wheat and 05. So I’m assuming the mash is normal (as far as water makeup-I use brunwater and build up from distilled). Pasteurize the wort, cool then goodbelly. Let it go for about a day. I don’t have a ph meter or strips, so I’ll just add the acid like you suggest. Pitch 05, and let it go at room temp-around 70 ambient? Or should I try to hold it down a bit. I only have one swamp cooler so was hoping to brew another back to back and put the second one in swamp cooler. Sound ok?

Thanks for all your help,

Ron

Add lactic acid before you pitch the goodbelly, as this will kill off any spoilage bacteria. Use Bru’n water to estimate how much you need to adjust your mash and sparge to 4.5, it’ll be close enough. Once you’re ready to pitch yeast, treat it like a normal fermentation. Good luck, you got this! Taste it before you pitch yeast, just for reference. It should be sweet and tart like a lemonade.

Ok Porkchop, this is amazing! The us-05 took the gose down to 1.010, right where I’m used to seeing it, so I figure the ferment went well. Gonna leave it one more week then bottle. The taste is awesome, very tart and fruity. But I’m afraid that if I don’t add something, the taste will be bland once it’s carbed. So I’m thinking of adding the zest of a navel orange or two for this last week–I’ll sanitize in vodka first. Am I on the right track? The fruity taste it has now is citrusy, so I figure the orange will work.

Thanks for your continued mentoring,

Ron

And thanks to shrimpcreole for getting this thing started

Cheers,

Ron

Awesome, glad it went ok! It’ll be good as is, but I like to add something as well just to give it that something extra. Salt, lime zest, sanitized in tequila… One of my favorite combinations! Don’t be afraid to try some random combinations, as it’s a great base for whatever. Cucumbers and mint, anything Gose.

Thanks, buddy. And I saw what you did there.

Cheers,

Ron

1 Like

Just for that…im going to have pork chops for dinner.

1 Like

I bottled “A Little Orange Gose Long Way” saturday and it tasted so good I think I could drink it still. After 2 full days, already carbing as my plastic test bottle is tight as a drum. After active fermentation stopped, I added the zest of 2 naval oranges that soaked in vodka for 2 days, let that sit in the carboy about 4, then bottled. Can’t wait to try one!

Cheers,

Ron

1 Like

My batch turned out great so far also. I ended up splitting the 10 gal batch half with 2 12oz bottles of tart cherry concentrate and the other half with a 3lb can of raspberry purée. Just keged the raspberry but I’ve been drinking the cherry for a week and it’s good.

2 Likes

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I’ve been wanting to try a gose for a while, and after reading this thread, am definitely going to use the goodbelly method. Having not brewed a sour before, can I ask what people’s experiences have been with killing the lacto by boiling after letting the wort sour vs. keeping it alive? I will likely be kegging the batch if that affects anything and am not sure if I want to get a completely separate fermenting / transferal setup. If the end product is greatly improved though, I’ll likely bite the bullet (even if I kill the first batch).

Hey guys!!! I’m back. I love this style and have a keg of the above on tap. It’s my go-to beer of the 11 kegs I have running. A hands down killer summer beer. I have tried out many Gose / Wild beers over the past couple weeks and, frankly, there is not one I do not like. It’s amazing how many directions you can go with the style. I am considering trying to knock off Indeed Brewery’s Lucy Session Sour Ale, which is reviewed in this month’s Beer Advocate magazine. Any recommendations regarding ingredients? For example, should I use hops for the lemongrass flavor or actual lemongrass, which I have growing in my backyard. How much orange peel? What type and when? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Og 1.044 fg 1 007 4.5 lbs 2row. 4.5 lbs wheat malt. Mash at 148fh 60 min. 2oz cluster 60min. .75 oz seasalt. 5 min. 1oz. Coriander 5 min. 1oz grapefruit zest 5 min. 0.5 oz cluster. Flame out. Secodary. Prikley pear. 24 oz. Based on 5 gall batch

Thank you Wilco. I’ve never fooled around with Prikley pear. Juice??

I had the fresh fruit did bring it to a restaurant they did make a pulp from it. Almost juice works great. But seen the juice at a health store.