Shanks

Getting ready to get rid of the picnic tap. Looking at all the pieces and parts for a faucet. I have mfl’s at the quick disconnect but should I get a nipple shank or a shank without. If I get the nipple shank is the barb 1/4" if the shank has a 3/16" bore? Wondering if it was going to be a tight fit like the 1/4" barb at the quick disconnect. Also with length I don’t have the exterior finish wood on the collar yet. It’s 2x material figured I was going to finish with 3/4" hardwood. I see that a 4 1/8" shank has a smaller “usable” length with front piece and nut and/or tail piece nut. Keg connection lists it as 3" of “usable” for 4 1/8" shank. Should I just go with a larger shank and have extra? Maybe for insulation? I don’t want a ton of extra but is too much extra a bad thing or will it just get in my way? Any suggestions on faucets looking for everything to be stainless. Anyone recommend a specific perlick how about the 630ss? Thanks!

3" usable should do it you don’t want more than you have to on the inside. Worse case scenario you could recess the not on the inside. Not sure about the barb question

I just did my tap upgrade… My collar is 2X’ and I got the 4-1/8" not much thread left for me to apply something on the outside… My connections are male/female flared fittings… See, If I have to take apart and clean/replace lines, they simply can be disconnected taken apart with a wrench… I got the Perlick 630 SS, and the shanks are SS too! So far, I’m very happy with my setup… I don’t have a bunch of extra line piled up inside my keeper either… Some where there are comments about line length being 10’ or something like that… When I sized up my lines, I added what would appear to be enough to comfortably connect and disconnect and called it good… No issues… 3/16" ID lines too… Gas and liquid. Sneezles61

1 Like

Same hear with line length mine are about 5’. 3’ inside and about 2’ insulated to the bar taps. Standard taps after carbonation I push it out about 9psi with no foam problems. I guess the people with 10’ or more either have long runs or they like pushing at higher pressure. Can’t imagine stuffing all that hose in the refer

2 Likes

My collar is also 2x with a 3/4" hardwood outer trim. The shank is 4-1/8" and works well. I went all stainless. Faucets are Perlick 630SS with stainless steel outer collars. I went with 90 degree barbed tail pieces on the shanks to minimize interference when loading kegs. The keg disconnect ends and all gas lines are mfl. Oetiker clamps on all hose ends. Brew lines are 3/16". Gas lines are 5/16". Beer line lengths are 9’ at 11 psi for most ales and 6’ at 9psi for porters / stouts. Your preference my vary of course. Start with the lines a little longer than you think - its easier to make them shorter than make them longer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ended up pulling the trigger on this from beverage factory. Part number #630SSCOMBO - A 630SS with a stainless 4 1/8" shank. @Steve my setup will be very close to yours through the collar. Decided I’d try the nipple shank only because it seemed easier to start with. If anything yes removing the hose would be a little more of a pain. Also ordered a growler filler adapter for the faucet. Says it’s compatible with the 630.

2 Likes

Your on your way. How many taps you putting in?

You’ll like your Perlick’s… Now my quest will be to get a 1 gallon keg for BLC… I would suspect that every other keg would be a good cleaning routine… Sneezles61

Although they look nice you don’t really need the elbows the tubing will bend

Just one to start. I don’t brew enough at the moment to have two taps setup. Probably end up with 2 maybe 3 at most.

2 Likes

I have the 625ss with the same shanks and they work like a dream. I don’t even use clamps on the barbs of that shaft and haven’t had an issue yet

Nice! With my luck the hose would come off the beer would fill my chest freezer. I’m sure it’s a super tight fit though. If it’s anything like a mfl barb heating up the hose was a must.

I’m with you, clamps are cheap

1 Like

Me use the same kind happy with it did atach the hose and tight it with a hose clamb

Built the collar with 2x6 and still deciding what I want to finish the outside with. What do you guys have for spacing on center between faucets? Trying to figure out spacing and if I should center them or offset to left or right. Planning on drilling 3 holes and plug off 2 of them so I don’t have to disassembly if I want to add more.

Me drilled holes in my old coke fridge. And did use spacer rings as well to make it seal and tight

I made mine with a 2x8 collar… I centered the two taps and about 6" in-between them… Ive yet to make my drip tray… Once its made, I’ll use those rare earth magnets to “stick” it to the keezer… I had a local metal shop bend up some Stainless Steel to conceal the 2x"s… I’ll try to post a picture or two later… Heading up to Two Harbors to watch the sled dogs take off… Its the John Beargrease sled dog race today… Sneezles61

1 Like

2 Likes

Woah that sounds really nice and expensive! I bet the stainless looks great!

That’s really nice! I was thinking on the left as well so i wouldn’t hit the hoses or shank when moving kegs in and out.