Sediment chunks in starter wort after boil

Not sure why I have all this sediment. I’m planning to make a starter with a 3000ml flask and stir plate. Boiled for 30min. Breiss golden powder malt extract is what I used. What did I do wrong?

Nothing is wrong. Sneezles61

This happened the first time I made a starter a few days ago. My stir bar wouldn’t stay in position when spinning and would be thrown out. I filtered everything through a 25 micron funnel and then everything worked perfect. Started my cold crash last night. This starter wort batch is to be added to my current starter after I decant.

Is there anything I can do different to avoid the hassle of having to filter? Like I said, chunky sediment throws my stir bar out of center.

I used a stir plate a couple times… Now it’s the shaken method… So simple even a left handed Swede can do this! Look at brew in a basket postings… My yeast I started yesterday is pictured…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Did you take a gravity reading on the starter wort? My concern would be that obviously not all the DME dissolved…that has to be what the “sediment” is from.

I’ve never seen that in a starter wort and I don’t even boil mine again after adding the DME. I just boil the water, stir in the DME and stir over heat a little to make sure it’s dissolved then move on the chill.

No I haven’t yet. I generally stick to the 10grams / 200ml. Keeps me in 1.030 - 1.040 range.

I dissolved the malt extract first, then poured into the kettle. Boiled for 30 min, and poured into the 2000ml jar. 15 min later, I noticed the chunky sediment.

huh…interesting…so it’s almost like hot/cold break…strange.

Where did you come up with that ratio? 50 grams per liter? that’s about HALF what you need…

Should be 1 gram DME per 10 ml water.

If you’re trying to dissolve DME in cold water that’s part of your problem. Boil your water first, take the bot OFF the heat and slowly stir in your DME until it dessolves, putting it back on the heat is optional IMO.

1 Like

I googled it. I dont remember which site, but it was one of those pop up answers. I probably should have stuck to a calculator app, like Mr. Malty or the like

@dannyboy58
Yes your right, that is what I did. 1 gram per 10ml. Sorry.
I use 200grams into 2000ml

1 Like

Yea with that ratio your starter wort will be a very low SG.

Also, f you’re trying to dissolve DME in cold water that’s part of your
problem. Boil your water first, take the pot OFF the heat and slowly
stir in your DME until it dessolves, putting it back on the heat is
optional IMO.

OK gotcha…yea that’s better!

When making a starter I always put the DME in cold water and then bringing it to a boil. I get the same hot break like when I put DME in boiling water. So I don’t think that is the problem. I usually only boil for for 10 minutes, not 30. But I don’t see that making a difference either. And I always use a stir plate. So, I don’t think you (@BrewDog) did anything wrong. The only explanation I can think of for the particulate on the bottom of your flask is a super saturated liquid. Could you have put too much DME or too little water?

Me do bring water to a boil. Than add dme. Stir in for about 15 min. Make sure all the dme. Disolved. Add to flask. Cooldown add yeast. shake for about 5 min than add to stirplate. Found out if i dont shake the flask before stirplate. Have a hard time get the stirbar and starter going

Bring 1 quart water to a boil with the lid on.
Remove from heat, add 3/4 cup DME.
Let it cool with the lid on.
Transfer to sanitized flask.
Add yeast now.
Be sure your hands have been scrubbed in with star san.
Cover opening and shake the living bejesus into it…
Uncover the opening, let air in, and repeat 4 more times.
Put on your foam stopper, cover with a towel.
When you walk by it, give it a swirl.
Sneezles61