secondary fermenting

I’m brewing a amber pale ale. I have transferred it to secondary, and I have it sitting at about 66 degrees f. My question is would it benefit putting it in my garage witch is about 50 degrees maybe a little colder? I thought i read some where that having it at a colder temp can help.

What yeast did you use? Look up the temp guidelines for that yeast and do what makes sense.

IMHO keep it at the higher temp until it fermentation is done. At that time, if you want to move it to the colder area to help it clear, go ahead; however, I don’t think it will change things much if you do.

[quote=“tallcoldone”]What yeast did you use? Look up the temp guidelines for that yeast and do what makes sense.

IMHO keep it at the higher temp until it fermentation is done. At that time, if you want to move it to the colder area to help it clear, go ahead; however, I don’t think it will change things much if you do.[/quote]

If he racked it off the primary fermenter (and yeast), fermentation has finished whether he likes it or not!

OP, do you have any gravity readings?

I would say slightly colder/cooler temp might help clarify the beer. If you want it very clear, google adding gelatin, which will facilitate clarity even more.

FYI, most experts agree that transferring homebrewed-sized batches to a different vessel is unnecessary and has little if any practical benefit. Don’t bother on your next batch, just leave it in the primary/fermenter for a longer period.

You can even add clarifying agents (such as gelatin), dry hops, or other adjuncts while its in the primary fermenter. Then just rack to your bottling bucket or keg.

As you’ll see, transferring to a secondary vessel isn’t necessary, although that’s debatable. Anyway, now that you have it transferred, cold crashing it will help it clear up. Normally, you’d want to get it close to 40 for a day or so to help all the yeast drop out. It’s not necessary, but it helps give clear beer, if you want that.

Would I be correct to assume that your garage is also subject to greater temperature fluctuation than wherever you are storing it currently? If so, I’d leave it where it is.

[quote=“Pietro”]If he racked it off the primary fermenter (and yeast), fermentation has finished whether he likes it or not!
…[/quote]

Not necessarily…with the transfer, he has also transferred some yeast. If it wasn’t done, it will just be slowed down some.
In the end, the beer will probably be fine. I very often transfer from primary after as little as five days, and have yet to have a problem with attenuation or any kind of off flavors. Those yeasties are still doing what they need to do.