Scored a new freezer and fermzilla

A friend was over the other day and said i can have his freezer. Mine which i use for lagering and conditioning is not working well. This new one is an upright so i may be able to get more kegs in there. May throw a tap or 2 in for samples any downfalls using an upright

2 Likes

Nice score! Not sure of any downfalls per se. Do know it will be easier to get those kegs in.

2 Likes

Don’t some of the uprights have cooling in the shelves so they cannot be removed? I have never owned one but recall reading that somewhere.

1 Like

Maybe some higher end freezers

1 Like

Peel the plastic shelf off the door and replace with something flat…
I’ll think picnic tap would work fine…
I know loading a chest freezer is a bit of a struggle with that extra tall collar… You’ll tell us if its “more convenient”…
When I re-do the brew/laundry room… I’d like to put an aging chamber in…
Sneezles61

I have an converted fridge for a kegerator and it is alot easier on the back. This is a full size and hopefully i can leave one shelf in. Full kegs low 1/2 kegs and empties above

1 Like

My serving fridge is a temp controlled upright freezer. I can fit 6 ball lock kegs in it and I have 4 taps through the door. All the cooling in mine comes from the back so i have my gas line through one side and cylinder outside.

I have one shelf at the top of storing hops, which also holds my regulators. I use the top two door shelves for saving yeast slurry, and removed the rest of the door shelves. Been meaning to get that thin plastic sheeting from the box store to cover the pink insulation but that hasn’t happened…

I have no complaints whatsoever with the upright. With pin locks you might even be able to stack them. You could certainly stack buckets if you wanted to use it as a lagering unit. I need a new freezer for lagering since my chest freezer died but we have a fridge in the garage I’ll likely use for 2 kegs for a while and may see how I can configure it for use when we move since I have it and it works fline

Well the free freezer has finally arrived. It can hold 4 full size kegs and 4 half kegs stacked. I don’t usually have that much lagering.
I basically want to fermemt in it so i picked up a fermzilla w/ carbonation cap and floating serving tube. Epitomy of laziness. I won’t even need to transfer to a keg

1 Like

FermZilla looks pretty lazy. I’m looking forward to your review

Ill be that guy in the picture. The nice man just dropped it off. Guess I’ll brew tomorrow or Wednesday

2 Likes

How do you pick it up and move it about?
Sneezles61

It has handles on the stand to pick the whole thing up and another set of handles on the fermenter itself. The collection container has ports as well for gravity draining beer if you dont use gas. The port also let you putge the container whe using it for starters or you can purge your hops and ad grom it. The container has an extra cap to store dumped yeast. Im impressed with the oversized butterfly valve. The Aussies think of everything. They invited BIAB and this thing.

2 Likes

That’s the review after unpacking and assembly. I haven’t used it yet but whatched YouTube. I’ll let you know if it actually works soon

1 Like

more pictures please

2 Likes

Finally got a brew day. If I do this right i have the spunding valve at 2.5psi. Does that sound right for a cream ale? Never did a primary under pressure. Once all the trub drops ill release pressure then empty the collection vessel. After that I’ll let the yeast fill the collection vessel then shut the butterfly. I’ll reset the spunding valve and let it self carbonate. Then I’ll push it to a purged keg

Dusting off this old thread. I just ordered one of these this AM, the 15 gallon version with the spunding valve kit etc… Saw it in the latest edition of homebrew finds. So @brew_cat, how has it worked out for you? Any tricks or tips to share? I’m looking to do some lagering in it and apparently drinking from it. :yum:

1 Like

I have the first batch in it now so I’ll keep you abreast. I have the 7 gallon and so far happy with the quality. I can fit a keg along side it. When fermentation is done i plan on moving the spunding valve to the keg side leave it at 2.5 psi hook up the gas to the fermenter at 10psi to move the beer over

1 Like

Thanks! In hindsight, this isn’t such a dusty thread. LOL Must’ve confused it with one of my other search results.

The only thing is the floating dip tube floating close to top may get clogged with krausen. Easy enough to blow out with gas. If its a problem may weight it a bit to get it down a couple inches