Scientists figured out how to make an IPA without the hops

Interesting Read

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

GMO… OMG!! :scream: Sneezles61

1 Like

Did read it as well

Seems like that would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Would definitely take some fun out. But after brewing my first NEIPA I still have a big swath of hops residue all the way down my driveway from rinsing the primary after adding 8 oz of hops during fermentation. So I could maybe appreciate a little help from the yeast to reduce the payload a bit. But if you take all the variables out of it and the challenge, may as well just go to the store and buy the beer.

That was my thought as well. But. One thing i dont understand. What about bittering hops or aroma. Hops. No need to add anymore than. ? One thing i love about brewing. Creating the recipy. Milling the grains. And sorting and messure the hops. So with this kind of yeast. Not necercary anymore. Confused ???

Well, the article didn’t lay that piece of it out there… It appears to have brought an aroma… My self, if some one could make an air freshener that smelled like the first hop additions… they’d be a very wealthy person. Sneezles61

2 Likes

Sounds like a new business venture sneezles! I’d buy some! :innocent:

Rad

2 Likes

But, but, … Reinheitsgebot

So long 60 minute boils…?

1 Like

Bring to boil. Cool down yeast. And there we are

Making IPA without hops… what’s next, making kids without …?

Hey Pork Chop, thats been going on for a while now… The most famous I’m aware of, David Crosby being a doner for Mellissa Etheridge and her friend… Sneezles61

1 Like

It is definitely interesting. You can geek out with the Nature article here.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03293-x

1 Like

I can see the death of hops now… :disappointed: Sneezles61

The use of hops will never die. New varieties may be introduced though. I was given an African violet that when flowering looks like the flower petals have been dusted with glitter. In the near future we may see glitter hops to complement the hopped yeast.

1 Like

Oh no Sneezles, nothing could ever replace the wonderful aroma of hops boiling in wort. One of my favorite parts of brewday. :innocent: Even if they GMO the yeast to produce similar bittering and possibly aroma results. Just pushing the envelope as things move forward, always experiment.

Rad

1 Like