Schwarzbier

I haven’t brewed a schwarzbier for a couple of years. Of course Kostritzer is probably my favorite so it’s the one I judge by. I brewed this recipe last and it was good but a little more roast flavor than I wanted.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Munich Malt 40 EBC (20.0 SRM) Grain 1 44.4 %
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 44.4 %
8.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.6 %
8.0 oz Caramunich III (57.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.6 %
1.02 oz Perle [7.00 %] - Boil 80.0 min Hop 5 29.0 IBUs
0.39 oz Hallertauer [4.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 3.7 IBUs
2.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [125. Yeast 7 -

I figured next time I brewed it I would replace the carafa III with carafa special III and maybe add it toward the end of the mash. Then I ran across this recipe which I think may be Jamils? Not sure but it makes sense. Schwarzbier is really just a darker slightly maltier pils…

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.8 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 23.3 %
12.0 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SR Grain 3 7.0 %
2.80 oz German Hersbrucker [2.80 %] - Boil 90.0 Hop 4 28.2 IBUs
1.00 oz German Hersbrucker [2.80 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop 5 3.4 IBUs
2.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [125. Yeast 6 -

Any opinions or recipes you’ve brewed that you like?

That looks solid. I always add use just a touch of German wheat to my Lager I think it gives it that pillowy head im looking for.

I love Kostritzer Schwarzbier. The new recipe should get you alot closer to it. The bulk of grain of their Schwarzbier is pilsner malt. Kostritzer recipe is close to a Munich Helles and in all honesty taste alot like one. You can achieve a close clone using a helles recipe and adding carafa malt for color. That what i base my recipe off of and side by side taste test its tuff to tell the difference between the real and the one I brew the hops are alittle different maybe more fresh in mine

I feel like we discussed this before…is that recipe with the pilsner your recipe?

The only Helles I’ve brewed I did a decoction mash and I don’t plan on doing that for the scwharzbier.

Yes we have before on the helles. I do a protien rest with my helles cause it’s all pilsner malt but for my Schwarzbier I add Munich and aromatic malt like a American helles and that gets really darn close to the flavor to Kostritzer beer. For hops though I use Perle my recipe