Saison Style

Carbonated now. Very refreshing fruity aroma peppery with a slight tannic finish but not tart. Clown Shoes makes a Black Currant Saison im told I’ll look for it or go to the brewery. I have a bunch frozen might make some wine and blend it into some of the red i have in carboys know

4 Likes

Had to get apple joose going… so I saved abit Belle Saison yeast… Looks a bit different than the yeast’ I typically have used…
Sneezles61

1 Like

That looks much different than the goo I ladle out my fermenters after kegging. :thinking:

1 Like

usually looks like pancake batter… This is more like very small rabbit food…
Sneezles61

So my post, kegging this 2nd brew yesterday was 20 hours ago+/-… I dumped in the apple joose… OG was 1.042… I just looked .999 !!! I’m absolutely amazed!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

:astonished:

Checked mine yesterday after over a month and it’s at 1.014 That’s kegging time for most of my beers but I will give it more time.

1 Like

Well, it seems to be creeping down… I’d let it continue…
So we go from mine over night… practically… to yers… Taking months… Crazy isn’t it? I should go sample the latest Say-Son… I know some yeast made it into the keg… See ifn its taking on some bubbles!
Sneezles61

Say-Son number one kicked last night… :disappointed: BUT… number two is cold… not very bubble-y… but its not a bad brew… now… if I can wait… :no_mouth:
Sneezles61

This is a very good brew…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

More news on my very stubborn Saison. Fermenter one, 10 gallons in a 12 gallon conical still 1.014. Fermenter two 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket 1.030, number three 4 gallons in another bucket 1.020. I pitched about a gallon of starter half into the conical, split the other into the buckets. About five weeks out. Currently at 78°

Fermenter 3 was only 4 gallons due to a stupid error on my part spilling some while transferring the wort.

Next is some drastic measure or transfer into glass carboys and ignore until fall maybe even spring.

1 Like

Keg the conical saison to free it up and let the buckets ride?

2 Likes

Not a bad idea. I have a couple of 6.5 glass carboys to use for whatever is next. Kind of got away from using them since the buckets are lighter, easier to move and break proof.

Stout or porter I think for fall/spring. As hard as it is to believe we should be heading your way in 10-11 weeks or so.

Well, you could pitch the buckets into the carboys with some fresh yeast of the type you brewed with… see ifn they’ll get going… And especially if you leave for a long time… then you won’t need to worry about O2 passing through the buckets…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Not a bad idea there either. I never thought about the buckets and O2. In the past when transferring to a secondary because that was what you did back then, many times it would kick off again.

Kind of thought I would be drinking this by now :angry:

1 Like

I feel yer pain… Yeah, get them into a secondary because they are slow… that way, you can get an Ale into the keg…
Sneezles61

@hd4mark … Lo and behold, the latest installment of Experimental Brewing with Drew and Denny is about Wyeast 3724 and the Saison Stall.
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-135-replay-stalling-perkey/

4 Likes

Thanks for that link @voodoo_donut I listened to the entire discussion about 3724 and what i got out of it was my batch is acting just like theirs. I did get lower gravity (so far) with the half in my conical and think it is because the lid does not always seal even if the bubble appears to be normal. I have had batches blow out the gasket before. Strange that buckets would seal better since they are notorious for leaking.

I will take more gravity readings and if they are not dropping rack to carboys with foil over the top just free up the fermenters and possibly swirl it around enough to kick the yeast back in gear. If that doesn’t work maybe a packet of US-05 in each 5 gallons. Not in a hurry but becoming tired of fiddling with this batch.

2 Likes

I believe you’re using a morebeer conical. I’ve not been too impressed with mine. First the perltier chips failed within 2 years… :roll_eyes: they blamed it on me … :rage:. The gasket sucks and I’ve found that you need to buy one often to make a seal.
Anywho. Yeah this yeast is very finicky under pressure and requires advanced temps (higher).

I made the conical with parts from Toledo metal spinning. Had the fittings welded on. Pretty sure it is the same thing Morebeer uses and their gasket fits perfectly. It is difficult to put on though. The stand is just plywood and 2"X4" threaded rod, angle iron and wing nuts to hold down the lid. Kind of ghetto but it works, I saved a bunch and had fun building it. It’s tall enough so I can put it right in front of a window a/c unit and unless it is very warm out it gets it in the mid 60s.

I will check the gravity again today or tomorrow and decide the next step.

1 Like