Saison Style

The one on it, is some of the refuse rock…There is NOT any room for another face… Period…
The one right behind… thats from Crazy Horse… I left a $10 donation… I’d like to see that one done before its curtains…
As I understand… dry is a Saison trait… I have some white wine yeast… just in case my “Old Belle” yeast poops out…
Sneezles61
EDIT: I just checked my Tilt gizmo… sez 82*F and its bouncing betwixt 1.004-.005… Is it suppose to be done so quickly?

Not to change the subject but that area native American land the defacing especially with faces of people who drove them off the land is what is controversial. Defacing it further with crazy horse doesn’t really get to the point

1 Like

As I understand it… The Indigenous peeps are frustrated that funding for crazy horse isn’t established with Feds or State… to some degree… Like it was when Mt. Rushmore got well under way…
The controversy over “white heads” in their sacred arena has been happening for quite a long time…
I thought you meant about “adding” another face…
I’ll revert back to topic now… Still waiting to hear from the “SAY SON” bunch of re-using this Belle yeast… If this is about done… I’ll want to whip up another brew soon…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Ive never found Belle Saison to be slow. Thats what i pitched a week ago. I’ll ho check where its at

RE reuse: I’ve not used the Belle saison yeast, I’ve used the Dupont strain. I and the wife’s friends who loved the saison, noticed that it was great out of the chute, but subsequent pitches produced less exciting flavors/esters. I basically started using saison and hefe yeasts a couple of times but not more. YMMV.

2 Likes

Yup im currantly at .004 im 9 days with the Belle. Not sure i gained anything in the wild. Maybe next time I’ll give the wild yeast more time. At .004 cant be many leftovers

3 Likes

I’ve reused Belle once with no noticed ill effects. I’m usually too lazy to make a starter or forget that I have a jar of harvested yeast in the fridge. :unamused:

2 Likes

Its not that you would have an ill effect but less of an effect

I have many strains of harvested Saison strains. There is a sweet spot where I feel that they had perfect flavor profiles. I still use the Harvested strains and love the results but I haven’t hit that perfect mark as often. I think I am going to under pitch substantially the next time I brew.

I was a thinking on brewing an IPA base malt style, then to rack onto the Saison yeast cake… Maybe I gotta scoop some out… stressing the yeast is the key?
So this AM temp is at 63*F and gravity at 1.000…
Sneezles61

How are you checking gravity? Thats pretty low even for a saison yeast. What was the recipe and mash profile?

I looked back at your recipe. No crystal malt and table sugar i guess it could go that low especially if you mashed at a low temperature. Did you have clean hands when you fished out your meter?

Meter/Tilt remains in there until I rack out the brew… BIAB… Since I read that Say-Son yeast consume even the toughest to ferment stuff… I mashed at 155*F… I’m in awe its gone so quickly…
Now I’m scrambling to come up with a grainbill that might be a good companion to the yeast… Almost now leaning towards a wheat/rye style… Any ideas?
Sneezles61

Rye saison is definitely a thing. Go for it.

1 Like

Hopefully I get to make this Saison today.
3 lbs. White Wheat Malt
8 lbs. German Pilsner Malt
Hops
0.5 oz. Saaz 60 min.
0.5 oz. Saaz 30 min.
0.5 oz. Saz 15 min.
Yeast
OYL-500 Saisonstein Monster

1 Like

Anyone saves the bottom 1/3 of their favorite Heffe-wiessen brew and work up the yeast for yer own brew?
Sneezles61

I have and the beer didn’t have the esters. Apparently i later found Erdinger finishes in the bottle with lager yeast so as to keep the product stable and consistent

This is a Saison thread remember :grin: I did a blended Heffe/Saison at bottling and it was one of my favorite beers.

Well dag nabbitt… don’t be so happy… there may be a few “lurkers” gonna imbibe on yer thinnin’… :grin:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Rain predicted Wednesday here… I’ll make it a brew day… I won’t get my dregs from the Heffe’s ready… but will certainly do a Rye’d “Say Son”…
Did I tell you, the one in the hopper is at .996? :no_mouth:
Sneezles61