Saison IBUs

Sure enough I missed the 154 rest. It will be better next time I prefer brewing in the early afternoon and might stick to 5 gallons for a while now. Thanks guys

1 Like

I would skip a ferulic acid rest on a saison as it’s not needed. Any if present in saison is actually produced the yeast. Saison yeast naturally produces 4-vinyl guaiacol so if you perform a ferulic acid rest up you might end up with too much.

As far as rests go, I would do a short protein rest (say 10-15 mins) around 125° And then bump to 145° for 60-75 mins.

1 Like

So this wort will still ferment?

It will be very fermentable

1 Like

I was going to give my next saison a ferulic acid rest. I’ll report the results.

Yeah I stopped doing bigger batches jus because I like brewing the beer is a bonus. The big batches just were getting to be more work less enjoyable for me anyway

2 Likes

I wonder how it will taste. Maybe I’ll put the extra 2 gallons on some fruit or something. I definitely did not prefer the larger batch and should have been ready to top up with some water. I need to make marks in my kettle. I just tried following a 10 gallon recipe so oh well. I guess I dont have to worry about the ibus anyway!

Here was the recipe but I only used 2 of their 4 strains of yeast.

you can add some fruit but do not add fruit juice or you will further dilute it.