Safbrew WB-06

Plan to do a Wheat beer this week. Would like to try Safale’s WB-06 for the first time. I have always had great results with 04 and 05.

Any thoughts, comments or experiences on it? Does it come out like a German Hefeweizen or more subtle like an American wheat?

I will probably go my normal 60/40% 2 row/wheat with a small amount of Munich and not to bitter.

Very interesting yeast! I’ve used it on a few occasions. Made a hefeweizen, wit, and American wheat with it. It spits off very subtile phenols like banana and clove. Attenuation is in the mid 70s. Overall it’s a decent yeast that still lacks a true identity.

I should note that all beers were fermented around 64. Manipulating the temp could change the total perceptions of the phenols.

Thanks for the input holaday. I have used Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen on many occasions but think the banana and clove are a bit over the top for the somewhat American style wheat I would like this time. My ability to keep the temps low has a little to do with the outside temp because I use a window a/c in the small room that is my brewery to cool. It has been not so warm so 60’s is doable. We have central a/c but the Mrs. would not like the entire house that cool :lol:

There is usually a 12 gallon conical and two 6.5 carboys going at once for the twenty gallon batches. I really need to figure out some not only reasonably economic but also not gigantic fermentation chamber to fit all of it.

Zwiller will be able to give you an opinion on this. He was raving about it in the Great hefeweizen thread. Personally, it doesn’t sound like it would work for me. I like 3068 too much to stray away from that.

WB-06 makes a great German style hefe, though not as over-the-top as some. I’ve tended to ferment in the low 60s, and it accentuates the clove more than the banana at those temperatures. Never tried it with an American Hefe, but I’d think it would work for that as long as you ferment cool to keep the banana in check.

I’ve got a packet of WB-06 in my fridge that has been in there for a couple years now, might be past expiration. I should try it, see how I like it. I’m sure it’s still viable enough…

Went to my LHBS to load up for this batch and he only had three packets of WB-06. My option were make a starter with one and use it for half the 20 gallons, go hunting or wait for delivery of another or get a US-05 and do 1/4 of it with that.

Decided on 5 gallons with the 05. I will give me something a little different and will be nice to compare. I know they will be completely different but that is no problem. It should all be a very drinkable summer beer.

Necessity is the mother of invention…I like this idea. It will be a comparison of the two yeasts in an identical batch. Ahhh, the scientific process! If you would, please let us know about the difference you see in the batches. (I’ve never tried 06, so I’d like to learn along with you) :cheers:

[quote=“DrGonzo”]Necessity is the mother of invention…I like this idea. It will be a comparison of the two yeasts in an identical batch. Ahhh, the scientific process! If you would, please let us know about the difference you see in the batches. (I’ve never tried 06, so I’d like to learn along with you) :cheers: [/quote]Will definitely post the outcome. Looks like I’m pushing out brewing it until Mon. at the earliest due to Independence day weekend plans. Another nice thing about dry yeast is you can use it at an instant and keep it for a long time in the fridge.

Also interested in hearing how a wheat with US-05 turns out. Can you post the recipe when you get it all dialed in?

Matt I did a 15 gallon batch of wheat beer last summer and used 3 different yeasts. US05, Wb06, and white labs American wheat yeast. Got 3 totally different beers! I think the grist was 50% pale, 40% wheat, and 10% crystal. 20-30 ibus.

I’ve done that before. It ends up with absolutely zero “wheat” character. But is a nice light ale.

I’ve done that before. It ends up with absolutely zero “wheat” character. But is a nice light ale.[/quote]

A real good base for all kinds of fruit, herb, or spice beers.

Here is what I’m starting with.

20 gallons
Grain:
22 lb 2-row malt
18 lb Wheat malt
2 lb Munich malt
4 lb cane sugar (optional)

1.25oz Magnum (14.0% AA); first wort hops
1oz Centennial (8.8% AA); 10 min.
3oz Centennial (8.8% AA); 0 min.

Safbrew WB-06

Divide by four for five gallons of course. I would go more than 1/4 on the hops to your taste.

Like many of us I just go 60/40 then add stuff. The hop schedule I borrowed from a recipe I found somewhere. Your favorite bittering hops and good old Cascade would work.

Done and carbed so here is what I found. Both the WB-06 and US-05 look similar. I’d post a pic but nothing different to see, looks like a wheat beer. Taste wise the WB-06 is similar to Wyeast 3068. I don’t find the banana and clove flavor as pronounced with WB-06. If you are going for a Weihenstephen wheat beer, go with the 3068. Although it did not attenuate much less than the 05, the the WB-06 seems less “clean and crisp”.

The Mrs. definitely liked the US-05 better than the 06 and it is a very nice summer beer. Too bad it is gone already :shock: