Room temp or not to room temp

I am getting ready to put the beer into the keg for co2. Is it better to do the co2ing at room temp or a cooler temp?

Personally, I only carb in the kegerator at serving temp. You can carb at room temp but know that pressure will be different once you drop temp to serve. It’s simpler for me to not have to adjust it. My SOP is into the kegerator at 30 psi for 24 hours, then drop to 20 psi for 3-4 days until I deem it ready, then drop to serving pressure, which for me is 8-9 psi.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Thanks. Here in central NY the weather is above freezing I was thinking I would leave the keg in the bar which is in the garage w/o heat. Other than the keg and the pour spout, should I sanitize tubing, shutoffs or if anything?

If you aren’t holding all your kegging stuff in a refrigerated climate, then cleaning and sanitizing becomes utmost concern… All you need is about 50*, maybe even a variable of warm and cold, and you have the makings for some horrible tasting brews… Pickled brews aren’t my pint at all…:confounded: Sneezles61

Your beer will more readily absorb CO2 if it’s colder. Warmer requires a higher psi to reach the desired volumes of CO2. And as @radagast said, the CO2 in the headspace will be higher and will be absorb once chilled. Pull the PRV before putting it in the kegerator, then put on the serving psi.

1 Like

thank you men!!

Sanitize anything your beer will touch between the boil and the glass. Regardless of temp. It’s cheap insurance.

1 Like

I am going to use 190 to boil for sanitizing.

My SOP is to force carb at 20 psi at room temp for two days, then into my keezer for a week drink and enjoy. Yes I do release pressure in keg then set to serving pressure about 10 psi.