Rinsing Kasu

So, the last batch I brewed yielded less than it usually does; right about 2 gallons pressed. I could tell there was a fair amount of moisture and dissolved rice-goodness still in the solids, so I decided to rinse them with more water.

A few notes; I used distilled water, I covered the solids and stirred until they stopped absorbing (tiny bit of water on top) which was about 2/3 of a gallon (~86oz), subsequent squeezing only returned maybe 1/3 of a gallon (~40oz).
I could smell a lot of “harsher” esters on this last press (just smelled more of metal or alcohol); but when it all went into the same bucket, it didn’t seem to effect much of the overall aromas and flavors.

My questions are so:
1-Does anyone else do this to get a bit more from their batches?
2-Is doing so inadvisable?
3-What does a normal 3 gal brew yield after hand pressing?

Thanks

I don’t practice this personally, but it’s quite common for sake breweries in Japan to perform a second pressing of their kasu to extract more flavor and aroma from it. Only the solvent they use is grain alcohol, not water.

Yeah, I’m glad to hear that but… I’m starting to wonder if that (or something else) was a mistake; I have the 2.6 gal divided into 3 1-gal carboys and a growler, but there is VERY LITTLE activity in the airlocks. Seems like the only time they do anything is if a stir/shake/bump them. HOWEVER, the foam reached the locks twice, so it’s apparently doing something…

I just seem to remember my last batch doing more activity by now (4 days).