Reuse of mixed culture

I would save it and use it later. I now have all my Bretts in one last batch. I have used them several times individually and I want to start fresh.

Why use it later? Why not now

So if I use it as a step pitch would I boil it before the sach pitch?

If you want to add hops for IBUs . I would boil it. Or you can just throw in the next pitch and let it do its thing with no boil and dry hop it and utilize those flavors from hops that way. Since its a mixed of Brettanomyces, Sach and lactobacillus. I would just pitch my second pitch and dry hop it

Or now. I have no horse in this race. I was just trying to get you to use it. If you have lacto I would pitch that first

1 Like

Couple more questions. Should I pitch pellicle and all and should I keep the temperature high for the lactobacillus?

If you got wine thief i would use it to go pass the cap and draw up some of the layer below it. Pitch it keep the temperature in lacto range enough to sour it. Then just pitch the rest after few days

1 Like

I have the grain measured out and I’m still planning this in my head. The last one I did I pitched the yeast for a standard fermenation then steeped some flaked oats and added that to the secondary. I was investigating a turbid mash and just pitch it all at once. Or do as @damian_winter suggested above. Seems like at least 3 ways to get to the same result. Pros and cons ?

So it is not a mixed fermentation yet and you still need to add the “bugs”?

It’s a mixed culture that I harvested from a beer I made, so yes it has bugs. I’m still on the fence about it. I’m leaning towards a combination of methods. Direct pitch then transfer to my aging vessel with some more starch. Just looking for as much input as I can get. Sorry if I’m being redundant just thinking out loud

I use Maltodextrin in a similar way. I have a batch that has a pound of it right now in the fermenter and I’m watching the Brett slowly chew through it via a Tilt Hydrometer. I think about .003 per day.

Okay heres what I’m planning. Mash my grain and bring the wort to a boil. Pitch some slurry at 100deg and let that sir for 18 to 24 hrs then finish chilling and pitch some more slurry and a vial of yeast. Give it 5 days or so and rack onto the fruit

1 Like

what yeast at 100F? that is too hot even for Kveik. I guess you mean bacteria

That’s for the lacto in the slurry to do its thing.