Repurposed Household Fridge - Kegerator Share

Hi all.

Thought I’d share a few pics of my kegerator. Our Sears closed down a while back and we picked up a new fridge during the sales. This, ofc, freed up our old fridge to be repurposed for greater things.

I left some room between the two Perlicks for a third which may end up being Kombucha… the jury is still out on that one. I need to build a shelf inside for the kegs to sit on and work on a hose management solution so, while not complete, it’s functional. I mean… that’s the important part, right?

All the wood, is just hacked up mesquite branches from around the yard except for the mitered pieces around the block part of the tap handle. I think those are oak… walnut? Idk… some scraps i had laying around.

To give me a way to swap out name plates as the kegs change, i just installed four neodynium (sp?) magnets in the handle and then i just mount the name plates on a piece of sheet metal with some epoxy.

I got the stainless tray from Amazon for about $30. First I thought about screwing it to the door. But then, since the tray needs to be removed to be properly cleaned, I considered mounting a wood backing board to the door that would have two mounting screws/studs that the tray could slide on to. Then, as a brainfart, i wondered if hard drive magnets would be strong enough to hold it on. Turns out, they do!! Maybe a little too much so, actually.

Anyway, that’s what it is for now. Will likely evolve and change in the months to come.

Cheers!

6 Likes

Fancy!

Nice work man.

1 Like

Nice looking cheers

1 Like

Very nicely done!! And that mug of cold brew… Would love to enjoy that… Nice frothy head… Just makes you wanna glug that down!! I’ll be looking for more Picts!! Sneezles61

1 Like

That is pretty cool! Nice flow of things (beer and looks).

1 Like

I really do like the split branch tap back and the handles. Very nice work and attention to the details like the label plates. I’ve always wanted to dress up my setup but I’m not that creative so it’s utilitarian at best.

I have a similar drip tray. I attached mine with liquid nails. When it needs cleaning I just lift out the grate, spray it with starsan and wipe it out. It may have gotten a little funky a time or two before it got cleaned.

3 Likes

Nice work! Sometimes we have to cave in and buy a new fridge for the greater good. :joy:

2 Likes

hahaha… thanks all. It was a super fun little project. I love making useful things out of stuff that otherwise had no real purpose… like fallen branches, for example, lol.

Couple more pics of the handle making process. Yes, i know i used a metal lathe for turning wood. Big old frothy feaux paux for sure there. Haven’t yet pulled the trigger on an actual wood lathe.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about which lathe… BUT, you can’t do metal on a wood lathe… Food for thought… I have an idea for tap handles but I get so busy I don’t have time just hang out in the garage tinkering with small wood projects… I look forward to more of your handy work pictures… Keeps me thinnin Bubba Louie!! Sneezles61

1 Like

Very nicely done! It appears the nameplates are wood as well?

1 Like

Wow very nice work.

1 Like

Love the craftsmanship, well done! Cheers

1 Like

Thanks all. :slight_smile:

Hiya WMNoob. Yes, I commandeered the wife’s co2 laser to engrave the name plates, then just glued those to some thin metal flashing. They swap out super easy but hold on well enough to not move around or fall off.

Thanks Danny. Functionality is #1 though, in my book, lol!

I wondered how well cleaning it in place would be. I chickened out and went with the removable option. That’s good to hear that it would have worked to go with a permanent solution. The drawback to the hdd magnets is they are very strong. If you get your finger between two of them when they snap together you’ll absolutely be looking for some ice and a needle to pop the inevitable blood blister that follows (ask me how i know).

Gotta be tough when you’re dumb (as my granny used to say). lol

2 Likes

Funny, I realized this weekend that the drip tray on my new one is actually screwed in place with self tapping screws. I had forgoten. I guess I decided not to go the liquid nails route on the new freezer. My old one was simply a stainless drywall mud tray attached with liquid nails.

2 Likes