Rehydration water

I’ve been using tap water to rehydrate dry yeast…which may have been run through a softener…do you guys think this water affects the overall taste of the beer?

No.

1 Like

Don’t tease me.

Sometimes. :wink:

Thats better…in what circumstances?

Depends.

Ok ok ok… seriously. You’ll be fine with a couple cups of tap water, as long as there aren’t huge amounts of chloramine. But if it’s been through a filter, probably ok. Even if it’s not… how much water are you using to rehydrate? I usually use about 4-6 oz. And as is often said… the solution to pollution (including rehydration) is dillusion.

4 oz…and wouldnt that be dilution :grinning:

Been sampling. :blush:

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer… take some down, pass them around… not as many beers on the wall!! Sneezles61

1 Like

Now I know why your beer tastes salty.

Seriously though…I’d be more concerned about the salinity affecting the yeast health. I doubut it’s an issue if you’ve been getting good results but somthing to consider.

As far as flavor impact on 5 gallons of beer…have you been into the hard stuff tonight…or are you in one of those hippy states?

Did I miss that somewhere that you should rehydrate dry yeast? ? I thought dry yeast could just be tossed in.

What?! I have to get a conductivity meter now?!:scream:

I find rehydrating the dry yeast produces better beer than when I’ve tried to dry out the liquid yeast.

3 Likes

My thoughts are: Stop bothering to rehydrate. The small amount of softened water won’t hurt anything if you do. If you are still concerned buy a gallon of spring water at the store.

One home we owned had well water with a lot of iron in it. Didn’t taste good and left rust stains on the fixtures so I installed a softener. I usually bypassed the softener for brewing but depending on the style sometimes mixed it 50/50. Back then I was kind of winging it on water but the beer turned out fine.

2 Likes