Recipe for Surly Supreme Grapefruit

Is anyone experimenting with a Recipe for Re-Creating Surly Supreme Grapefruit?

This is what they have listed:
ABV: 4.5%
Hops: Warrior
Malt: Pilsner, Unmalted Wheat, Carafoam, Acidulated
Yeast: English Ale

Hard to tell you since I’ve never tried it. Is it a sweet grapefruit or bitter grapefruit? So by going to their website it clearly indicates that grapefruit is added. I would add dried grapefruit peel late in the boil/whirlpool. If a bitter grapefruit add either grapefruit purée in a secondary and a little extract to taste at packaging. If sweet grapefruit use crystallized grapefruit at packaging.
Do you keg or bottle?

Radler style?
Sneezles61

I keg and bottle. The grapefruit is tart, yet not overwhelming. The effervescence is what I’m after and I think you are on to something with the crystallized grapefruit as they are producing their supreme line and on the can it says “grapefruit added”. https://surlybrewing.com/supreme-to-the-extreme/

I think thats why I enjoy it so much as it has that Shandy style. I think I’m going to have to try a few small batch variations to see if I can get it. Northern Brewer’s Fresh Squished IPA is one of my regular go to IPAs to brew especially when introducing brewing to friends.

Any thoughts on how I might start with Fresh Squished IPA and then bump up the grapefruit Radler style?

So its gotta Kolsch back ground…
8 lbs pils malt
1 lbs wheat…
Acidulated malt just corrects the water pH… soft water…
Carafoam is head retention… and some body…
Using just the first 2 I get about 1.042 as SG… in a 5 gallon batch with 80% efficiency…
I’d correct yer water to 5.8 pH pre-mash…
I used to get grapefruit from Cascade and Centennial hops… but they use warrior… maybe its more neutral to allow the added ingredients shine through…
Dry hopping with grapefruit rinde might bring the nose yer looking for… Not sure how much tho… I whole fruit worth?
Sneezles61

right on. thanks for the breakdown. I’ll report back once I give it a whirl.

1 Like

Did you succeed?