Rebel Rye Porter

Has anyone tried the Rebel Rye Porter kit offered by NB? I’m thinking about doing it soon.

I’ve never tried it, but it sounds delicious. Sorry, no help.

This kit is pretty new I think (or at least I just saw the add for it the other day) so I’m not sure you will find any first hand experience on it but I say do it! That sounds fantastic and brewing it right now you could age until December, bottle and have a wicked Non-denominational Winter Fun Time Beer!

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Well, I just ordered it, so we’ll see.

Please update us with the results when done. This kit sounds great and I’d like to know how it is but have a tone of recipes lined up right now I need to try.

Will do.

I think I’m going to brew the Rebel Rye Porter this Monday. The directions call for the oak pieces and rye whiskey to be added in the secondary. But, what if I soak the oak chips in the rye for a week before adding them (along with the whiskey), would that make a difference?

I just mashed in at 152. Gonna let it sit for 90 minutes, then batch sparge.

I have a stuck mash. i can’t even vorlauf 2 quarts. I can scrape my spoon along the bazooka screen, but won’t that put hulls and unwanteds in my boil pot. can someone please help me?

Well, since I couldn’t raise anyone at NB (probably because of the holiday), I used this mesh bag

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/larg ... -x-19.html

And with my son’s help, I was able to pour 7 gallons through the bag into the kettle.

So, 2 and 1/2 hours after I started my mash, I have 7 gallons on the burner.

I just hope the splashing from pouring it through the bag hasn’t ruined it.

The Rebel Rye Porter is in the primary fermenter. I would like to thank everyone who replied and assisted me today in my time of need. There is still a good chance it’s ruined, but I guess I’ll find that out when I taste it.

let me know how it comes out. I brewed this yesterday, but I am using a new system and wound up with 7.5 gallons of wort. I bloiled for 90 min, but still had 5.75 gallons, so my OG came up a bit short at 1.055. Using wyeast 1028, going to start low 60’s and let it go to ambient (about 70) in a week or so. I’m going to scale back the whiskey to maybe 12 oz or so since the gravity was a bit low and the volume probably reduced the hop presence. I gues the one positive of the large volume is that I was able to leave a lot more crap in the kettle, I usually just dump it all in. I probably won;t even secondary now and just add the whiskey and wood cubes at 4 weeks or so for 10 days then bottle.

It’s been in the secondary for a week now. I’m probably going to let it age for another 3 weeks, then I’ll bottle. It did taste wonderful when I racked it to secondary.

I added 12 oz of rye whiskey and oak chips on Monday, tasted it today and all I taste is whiskey… :frowning: should have started with a lower amonut, but the instructuions called for 16oz, so I thought I was being conservative.

I’m going to let it bulk age with the chips for another two weeks.

I’m brewing a slight variation of this tomorrow. I’m using similar hops I had on hand and whiskey barrel chips rather than just oak. I’ll probably go easy on the whiskey too but will try to taste and adjust…

If I’m kegging this, is there any harm in only adding a little bit of whiskey with the chips (enough to sterilize them) then adding whiskey to taste when I’m transferring it to the keg? I figure that it would be easier then when all the other flavors have been established.

It’s been the bottles 3 weeks now, and tastes great. I had soaked the oak cubes in 20oz of rye whiskey for 2 weeks, and poured it all into the secondary. It’s great now, can’t wait to see what it tastes like at my new years eve party.