Rahr 2 row first impression

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Looking for an update from those of you who were planning to try GW 2-row. What did you think?[/quote]I have now thoroughly compared GW Pale, GW 2-Row, and Rahr 2-row. Did a SMaSH with the GW 2-row last Sunday and the wort was light and sweet with a very tasty malt backbone - if I were to give Rahr a 10, GW would be a 9-9.5. The Pale doesn’t cut it though, at least for the beer I make, won’t buy it again.

I’ve used GW before in a pale ale and liked it so this time I bought a bag of the premium 2 row and brewed an amber with it I see in a couple weeks how it tastes.

[quote=“tom sawyer”][quote=“Denny”][quote=“sethhobrin”]Are you guys talking about plain Rahr 2 row or Rahr 2 Row Pale malt? I’ve recently discovered these are two seperate things.

What is the difference?[/quote]

AFAIK, there’s Rahr 2 row pale malt and Rahr 2 row pale ale malt.[/quote]
2-row pale malt is great, I didn’t care so much for the pale ale malt. It lacked the light toasty character of the 2-row pale malt, but didn’t have nearly the graham cracker/biscuit character of a British floor malted Maris Otter. So I splurge for MO for my British Bitters, and use the Rahr for my west coast style pale ales.[/quote]

me too - Rahr Pale Ale malt has a candylike malt sweetness that I don’t care for.

I agree with your assessment.

Cool. Thanks guys. Sounds like a low risk purchase. Does $47.50 delivered sound about right for a sack of MW 2-row? I assume the guy who’s organizing the purchase is marking up a bit for his trouble, which I’m fine with.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]Does $47.50 delivered sound about right for a sack of MW 2-row?[/quote]The last pallet I bought, maybe two months ago, ran about $35 per bag including shipping to Texas.

I live about 45 mins away from Rahr. I just go there and pick up my 2 row from them. Couldnt get any more fresh.