Quick beer

I’ve never done a quick turnaround around pale ale but I’m out and people that come over like pales. Got any tricks? I’m going to go about 5 1/5 abv ferment 10 day at 70 carbonate 5 days

One of the Norwegian strains of yeast like Kviek or Hothead will ferment out really fast at above normal temp range and not taste like rocket fuel. Even in the 80s. Then a quick cold crash, transfer to keg and use the high pressure bounce or shake carbonate.

Not the best method but really fast.

1 Like

Never had much luck with the shake and roll method but I find doing 15 psi for a day or so then down to 12 for 3or4 works fairly well then set to 8psi to serve. Of course it takes a little more time to get nice and clear but drinkable for sure.

I would do a “short and shoddy” mash and boil schedule… per brulosophy… Planning ahead, have your yeast in the starter flask at high krausen… Then when you pitch, lag time minimal… start the ferment in the mid 60-s for 36 hours , then warm it up… 'Bout done fermenting… dry hop, leaving it a room temp for 2 days, rack, give it CO2 while cold crashing… 25PSI… If it doesn’t get all drank, then as it matures, tell us how short and shoddy compares to a usual brew and condition schedule… I’ll assume, this would save you at least a week, plus. Sneezles61

Second the recommendation for Kveik yeast… it’s done really fast at higher temperatures. I’ve pitched it at 105°F and it takes off like a rocket. I haven’t had much luck with it clearing quickly, but if you plan for a style with a lot of hop haziness, no problem.

I don’t have the kieve yeast and probably do this tomorrow so I’ll get some 05 slurry started and pitch at high kraussen at around 65 let raise up to low 70s. I’ll over pitch for sure

Mash low for a long time, some crystal in the grist to keep some body, and the 05 should be done and clear with a good cold crash in 5 to 7 days. Like you said, warm it up at the end to help clean it up, and you should have a good simple drinker in a couple weeks.

1 Like

I’ve turned around pale ales and bitters in 10 days plenty of times using 1272 and 1469 respectively. Of course they’ve both improved with time spent in the keg. Honestly didn’t do anything special other than suspended my belief that a long fermentation was required.

For carbonation try this:

1. keg the beer and put it into your kegerator for cold crashing
  2. after 12 hours put the gas on it at 30psi and leave for 24 hours
  3. take off gas, release the pressure. Reattach at 20psi
  4. let sit for 24 hours. Take off gas, release pressure
  5. reattach gas at serving pressure

I’ve had pretty good success at getting beer quick carbed like this without using an aeration/carbonation Stone. If you have one sanitize it and tubing. Put the tubing on the gas in dip tube. Set your regulator to serving pressure. You’ll have that beer carbonated in no time.

Of course, only time will allow the CO2 to hydrate and produce that head you’re used to…,

Do you mean just bleed the keg pressure down to 20 psi…or release all the pressure? If the latter…what will be different?

You never want to attach a gas line to a keg that has higher pressure than the regulator is set for. This can cause beer to be pushed back up into your gas lines. If you have check valves it shouldn’t happen but I never take the chance. Just bleed the pressure off your keg and reattach the line at the lower pressure. Theoretically, you could still have higher pressure since the beer should be holding some carbonation…again…this is where check valves play a role.

1 Like

In addition to what @dannyboy58 said you’re also removing the 30 pounds in the headspace and replacing it with 20 pounds assisting in avoiding over carbonation.

I will shut off the valves pull some pints… for sampling purposes only, then turn on the reset regulator … Sneezles61

That’s the dirty work of home brewing all that sampling.

4 Likes

Transferred today still cloudy and could see what looked line fermentation when a racked. Also still a bunch of rafts. I’ll leave it in the keg a couple days then gas it up. Don’t think I’m gonna make 10 days @dannyboy58. More like 12-15. I guess 2 weeks is not bad.

1 Like

1272 is a great yeast (it was Ballantine’s original ale strain). It’s a true top cropper that flocks out incredibly well.
I’m usually not in a particular hurry when I brew, but with this yeast I have turned around very drinkable ales in under 12 days. And with some age on them, they were even better.

2 Likes

Do you know if 1272 is the same strain as ECY-10? I was waiting months for the ECY to come back into stock so I could finally try a Ballantine clone, so it would have been awfully convenient to just pick up some 1272…

Yes…from what I’ve been able to find out, 1272 is descended from the same strain as ECY-10 (and for that matter, so is Danstar’s Bry97 …although Danstar confusingly sells it a “west coast ale yeast”:smirk:

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!

Update. After 7 days fermentation transferred to get onto 2oz homegrown hops. Let it sit at 65 for 3 days no gas. Chilled overnight then gassed it to 20psi. Pulled off some sludge and poured a taste. Pretty good but the carbonation came out of the sample fairly quickly. Turned it down to 15 psi where I will leave it 2 more days. Monday I’ll put it on serving tap. So it will be 14 days and hopefully hold some carbonation. I’m entertaining the thought of adding some more dry hops but I’ll make that decision after the next tasting.

2 Likes