Question about post boil pH?

Hello I notice something weird yesterday when I was brewing my Berliner Weiss. Well everything went well until I went to check my post boil pH which was 6.4. But my mash pH was 5.2 I measured both at room temp an I even recalibrated my pH meter before I started the brew…

Weird. The post boil pH should be a even a bit lower than the mash pH. I got nothing…except the possibility of pH meter misfire. I hate those things.
More here : The Principles of pH - Brew Your Own

pH meters take a long time to fully adjust to reach a reading state, even longer if you don’t clean them fully in between readings. When taking a reading make sure to move the probe around to get any air bubbles off of the membrane that does the reading. Then just sit back and wait for it to fully settle into a reading. This might take a minute or two. As far as your specific reading if you measured during the mash and then sparged with water that wasn’t from your mash wort you can expect it to change. For example I sparge with 170F water from a different pot which unadjusted is a pH of 7 in my case. Doing so raises the pH in my wort.

1 Like

The water here has a pH of 7.6, so I always treat my sparge water…usually lactic acid, occasionally citric acid(in beers where a citrus note is appropriate)…for a sparge pH of 5.2-5.4.

1 Like

Yes I recalibrated the pH meter right before I started the brew an I even double check to make sure it matched the pH numbers on the calibration solution‘s…

1 Like

I like @squeegeethree explanation. Did you treat all your water or just the mash?

I treated distilled water. An I brew using BIAB so I treat all my water at once’s

2 Likes

Detail your process VERY CLEARLY. How did you sour your wort?

Hello where here the recipe that I brew: 1lbs 6.6oz of Viking pils malt
1lbs 0.8oz of pale German wheat malt
8.8oz of Flaked oat’s
6oz of cane sugar
4.6oz of acid malt

Hallertauer mittelfueh hops
                                                               Sorachi ace hops 

I used distilled water in which I added     2.4g of calcium chloride

2.1g of CaSO4
1.1g of (ca(oH)2) aka lime

I mash this beer using the BIAB method an I mash at 148 for 90mins an then after 15min I took a small sample of the mash an chiller it down in the 70’s an took my mash pH reading which was 5.2. So I let the mash continue on an then I pull the BIAB bag out of the kettle an let it drip an I squeeze the bag out an then I boil that for 75min an at 15min left into the boil I add the hop’s an added the 1/2 whirlfloc tablet an 3tsp of Fermat yeast nutrient an then I chiller to the 70’s an took my hydrometer sample an it came out at 1.029OG an then I was curious for some reason an I went to check my post -boil wort pH an that came out at 6.4

.029?

Yes the Berliner Weiss brew that I brew came in at 1.029og

How are you souring it? I usually sour mine pre boil before hopping. The hops may raise the ph a bit depending on how much

Yes I am using Philly sour yeast this is my first time using this yeast too

1 Like

I’ve never used it either. I’ve heard the hops affect the lacto so ive only soured before boiling and leaving the kettle. Not to mention not wanting to add the lacto to my fermemt. I’ve had to clean all my kegs and fermenters from some post boil souring that got away from me.

Philly Sour isn’t a true lacto fermentation as it’s a yeast that produces the lactic acid. It’s pretty great.

That’s about on target for the style. A little low maybe. If you finish at 1.01 you will be at around 2.49% abv. 3% or so is a good target for this light refreshing style. I like your use of Philly Sour. It’s an amazing yeast and I look forward to your tasting notes.

I’m wondering why the acid malt… then lime…
I’m just thinking without going looking… wouldn’t there be some cancellation? The lime taking a while to dissolve into the wort?
Sneezles61

1 Like