Question about fermentation rate

Hi everyone. I’m a novice to home brewing. I just got the starter kit from Northern Brewer that included the Block Party Amber kit. I carefully followed directions that were included and soon had my wort in the fermentation bucket with the airlock in place. Within a few hours I started seeing bubbles in the airlock. The next morning it was bubbling pretty furiously, more than once per second. Too fast for me to count. That went on for about a day. By the time three days had passed the bubbles had slowed down to just one every 5-6 seconds. It’s been one week as of today and I just checked and it is bubbling once about every 45 seconds or so. My question is I’m just wondering if this is normal behavior. I mean to get very very active fermentation for just about one full day and within a couple of more days for it to slow down to almost nothing. I still have a week to go before bottling but in the meantime I’m just wondering if something might have gone wrong or if I should probably not worry about what I’ve seen and just continue with the process. Thank you in advance for any insight or advice. Cheers!

1 Like

Sounds completely normal. The yeast should be highly active the first few days then the activity will slow down as the replicating/ budding and fermentation nears completion. The next few weeks the gravity will drop a point every day or two until finally the gravity becomes final and will hold steady (for at least three days). Don’t rush the process and be patient from here on out. Even with a lack of activity in the bubbler the yeast is still active and cleaning up your brew. Also don’t be tempted to peek, gaze, smell, or dabble with the beer with the lid off. Just leave it in the fermenter for at least 3 weeks and then a gravity check.

4 Likes

@squeegeethree gives solid advice. Your ferm temps can also influence how quickly the yeast ferment. Depending on the yeast, most of a prefer to ferment in the cooler temp range for the yeast.

6 Likes