Purchased & Used Grain Mill

Well, I had purchased a 10lb bag of uncrushed barley a few months back and after getting through 2020 and Christmas I thought it was time to brew some beer. My LHBS wanted a buck a pound to mill it and my wife said why don’t you just buy a mill? That’s all I needed and immediately started looking into a good, inexpensive mill. I found a mill with hopper on Amazon for $88 and figured why not. I figured with the number of brews I do this would do well for me without breaking the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C2739BX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It arrived a few days ago and was very easy to assemble. I got out the old trusty feeler gauge and set the gap for .032 after reading up on which gap is the best for BIAB (this was the most recommend gap setting). I ran about 1/2 lb through to check the crush and it looked very good (compared to pics of good/bad & ugly crush). They stated the hopper could hold 11lbs, but in reality it only holds 5lbs (no biggie). It came with a handle for manual use, but I put the DeWalt cordless drill on it and it worked really well. Yesterday I crushed the remaining grain and brewed with it today. My measured BH efficiency was 81 per BeerSmith.

3 Likes

That’s crazy I crush my own but before I got a mill I used a couple different places and the never charged to crush grains. That’s like another $12 per batch. Smart to buy a mill

Me did buy the same and me happy with it. When i brew my self. I do use the handcrank. But grandson. Likes to use the drill