Propper Starter

Anyone see this new canned wort like Fast Pitch? It’s made by Omega Yeast. Anyone use Fast Pitch? I think for a while it wasn’t available. Seems like its easy to use. I don’t really enjoy making starters mostly because I make it seem harder than it really is. I always worry I’m going to screw up sanitation practices and cause issues. I don’t like buying dme and trying to store it because I likely won’t use it.
http://propperstarter.com/

I’m sorry but thats part of brewing… Getting the yeast up, stretched out and ready to bud IS a desired trait…
I don’t do a starter the day of my brewing… nor do I wake up in the morning and say" lets brew!"
I do plan out my brew-ing"s… A week before… what malt, what hops… yeast? I brew on the W/E… So I like to make starters on Wednesday for a Saturday brew… Thursday for a Sunday brew… Its just part of my schedule… I use DME and don’t do a big ordeal… Heat 1 quart of water up close enough to a boil, turn the heat off add 3/4 cup DME, cover, leave it on the turned off burner… let it sit… I’ll do that directly after I get home… 5 PM… The next morning… say 4:30 AM, pitch the yeast… Shake the living Bejuses into it, and attend to it when I get home again…
Its not too difficult… its just what I do, so its a routine… Sneezles61

I use mostly dry yeast so I just rehydrate on brew day. I always boiled the water for a short amount of time which added time for cooling too. I like the idea of canned wort and not having to boil. That way I can pitch at the same temperature I’m planning to ferment at. Like I said I’m sure I was making to harder than it had to be. It really isn’t terrible process just something that takes time. But I think I might grab some Fast Pitch and see how I like it. Sure it’s more expensive but it will save me time which for me is important.

1 Like

I’m thinking one could can their own wort. I’m going to have to try it.

2 Likes

I believe you need a pressure cooker to can wort

1 Like

I plan to can my own starter wort this weekend for the first time. Yes, you do need a pressure canner. I plan to can in quart jars at about 1.045 SG. I figure 1 quart for ales and 2-3 quarts for lagers. I’m too busy these days to try to make a starter on a Wednesday night for a Saturday brew day, so I figured I’ll sanitize my flask, pour in the canned starter wort and yeast, and I’m done. Simple. Here’s Drew Beechum’s method which I thought did best to clearly explain the procedure: https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/starter-made-easy-pressure-cooking-your-starter-wort-ahead-time

Me buy a few bags of light dme the 1 lbs. They dont take so much space in my fridge. Few vials of yeast. Me love to make starters. Like to watch. The dme change color in my flask and the vortex. I do think it is a part of the beer brewing. Not so much extra work. On the end. Never used fastpitch. Seems a nice product

1 Like

At $3.20+ shipping per starter I’ll continue to measure out DME.

I too will begin canning my wort once I get through my DME. Been planning on it, but had just bought a 3lb bag before I received a pressure cooker.

1 Like

Just completed the first batch of canned starter wort. Went fairly well. I bought a 3lb bag of DME and a case (12) of quart canning jars. Three pounds is 48 ounces or exactly 4 ounces per quart jar. Since my beers tend to have OG’s a bit on the higher side, I figured the extra few gravity points will create less of a transition for the yeast when pitched into the actual brew. Yes, it did turn out dark, but it created a nice hot break that is settling nicely to the bottom. I should be able to easily decant the starter wort off the “trub”. Also, since we should allow our starter yeast to settle out and decant the fluid off the yeast, I can’t imagine the little bit of liquid left is going to affect flavor of the finished beer at all.

1 Like